3 things you'll take with you to Mars...

Here's a fun question for all of you. If you were to make a 'one way' trip to Mars and the space agency says that you can carry only 3 things with you with following limitations-

1. None of them should weigh more than 1 Kg.

2. None of them should me more than 5ft x 5ft x 5ft in dimension.

3. None of them should be fragile.

What would you choose?

PS: Add your answer and tag the people you want to reply in this thread.

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I assume the Space Shuttle would be sufficiently equipped technologically and since I won't be coming back home, I'd take along with me 0.95kg of chocolate (would want to knock myself out before they 'pull the plug'), as little laughing gas required to ignite laughter (would ask #-Link-Snipped-# sir for a suitable amount and I am not sure how liqufied gas would react to Marsian atmosphere) among all other candidates before we die - it was better if we all died laughing together; and 0.95kgs of Pringles potato chips with a mixture of all flavours (I just love it and it would remind me that being a couch potato was better than exploring Mars - I also don't want to be left hungry in the grave) :-D
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Whats so special about mars anyway.

well here are my answers:

a box full of chocolates, cellphone, and the kitchen sink.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    anoopthefriend
    I'd take along with me 0.95kg of chocolate (would want to knock myself out before they 'pull the plug'), as little laughing gas required to ignite laughter (would ask #-Link-Snipped-# sir for a suitable amount
    I am sure Anoop does not want to pollute the already thin atmosphere of Mars. Nitrous Oxide has more than 300 times the capacity of Carbon Dioxide as a green house gas. In that sense it is a major pollutant on Earth.
    On second thoughts it may not be such a bad idea as the Martian atmosphere is so thin (about 1/150th of earth's atmospheric pressure that it cannot retain much heat. So any global (Martial) warming green house pollutant may be a welcome addition.

There is negligible oxygen on Mars. So a kilogram of Oxygen with careful husbanding will keep one going for about 12 hours. At a pinch, the Nitrous Oxide can function as an oxidiser though not perhaps physiologically. There is water at the poles. May be a deploy-able large inflatable solar power pack for electrolysing water can be made within a kg weight. This can produce 1 litre oxygen (one minute survival for an adult human)/amp hour. I have not done any detailed calculations but about 60 sqmtrs solar PV panel may be needed to generate enough power to keep a person alive. (Mars has a solar power of about 600 w/sqmtr)
    So 1 kilo thin film solar PV panel, 1 kilo electronics and 1 kilo laughing gas to keep Anoop Laughing (all the way to the Martian National Bank black money account division) as he cocks his snook at Death the leveller.
    Lichens can grow there. Salt is available. So one can eat after a fashion.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir.
    I am a big fan of you, and believe whatever you mentioned on the website is correct. Considering most of the facts and figures you had given above are true, I was just wondering that did you searched this on net, and mentioned that or do you remember this on top of your head. If later is true in any sense, how did you do that?

I know years of experience help you, but still this is too much, atleast my small mind can not think of doing this.. 😔

-CB
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Before going to Mars I will use the machine used in "Honey,I shrunk your kids" & take my family,siblings & friends alongwith few bicycles to troll around mars with martians.
    hehe 😁
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    martians are dangerous creatures in the entire universe.

i wonder why people would still want to go to mars.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Considering most of the facts and figures you had given above are true, I was just wondering that did you searched this on net, and mentioned that or do you remember this on top of your head. If later is true in any sense, how did you do that? I know years of experience help you, but still this is too much, atleast my small mind can not think of doing this.. -CB

My special subject in my engineering was elctrochemical technology. I actively use it even today. So the basics have to be on tap. As an one interested in astronomy, many things related to that are also on tap. I love scifi. As a pracising biomedical technologist, I have to have some of basic physiology at finger tips. So actually there is nothing special in combining all pieces together. The net did give the info that if all the water in the Martian polar ice caps was melted it would cover the entire planet to a height of about ten meters. That lichens can grow in a Martian atmosphere was reported after an experiment done on earth(also on the net).

I also take CE seriously and as a teacher I spend time researching a meaningful answer, doing actual calculations before posting. It is selfishness actually. The Ayn Rand kind.

No mind is small except where there is some disability like Down's Syndrome, autism or an organic disability of the brain. The truth is that education in British India was designed to create clerks and blue collar workers. What Edward Debono calls as the Greek Gang of Three (GG3-Socrates, Plato and Aristotle)have this adversarial kind of thinking. Logic and arguments and so on. Critical thinking is an important part of thinking. However, it is only a part. What engineers need is creative thinking. Critical thinking is used at the execution stage.

Spend a while here:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Tony Buzan is another person, who did a lot to use of memory.

#-Link-Snipped-#

So I am just a mango man (aam aadhmi).
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    For some reason the post has decided on its own format and colour.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    For some reason the post has decided on its own format and colour.
    Fixed.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Here may be Anoop's solar power pack:
    Designfax – Technology for OEM Design Engineers
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    A.V.Ramani
    Here may be Anoop's solar power pack:
    Designfax – Technology for OEM Design Engineers
    Sir, you definitely have a way to invoke curiosity into our brains. I've got to go through everything again to understand it better. I'm glad I asked you this question :-D

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you look closely at the products produced today, how would you decide whether to buy it or not. Would you just look at the functionality or also on the...
I have played few console games & i noticed that the FPS of game stays around 28-30 FPS only. While, In PC gaming, slight change is seen between 30 &...
It is well known that there are often more than one way of solving any problem. Same is the case with Oracle SQL. It is possible almost to write any...
I am changing the config file in RPi. I want to set display resolution to 1360x768 which is closer to my monitor's 1366x768. It is in hdmi_group=2 & hdmi_mode=39 (&...
Worrying about keeping your electronic empire charged when you're roaming at places far-away from the power points is a thing of a past with this Solar Tent. The Katabatic Solar...