View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12915 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • May 4, 2008

2T oil for engines and carbon content

Okay, I'm a newbie when it comes to chemicals. But I want to know about this!

How do I select 2T oil for my 2 stroke engine motorcycle? What's it with the carbon content [I'm concerned because the local mechanic probably knows a lot more than I do].

Can anyone enlighten me about 2T oils?
gohm
gohm • May 4, 2008
Back in my vintage scooter days I used 2T. The important thing is to meet api/iso/jaso requirements for your engine. I actually prefered petroleum 2T oil because it is beng combusted in the 2 cycle process which eliminates several of the benfits of synthetic oil. A good quality brand without using overpriced bike/scooter oil. I also have not seen evidence that syth is any more/less "green" than petroleum 2T oil in both the manufacture process & emissions in general. HOWEVER, they now have ester based 2T oil on the market so I would use that as that does reduce emmissions & is biodegradable! Motul, Maxxima & Estrol all amke a ester based oil. Ensuring proper mixture ration is important too. Does your bike have a metering device or do you pre-mix? checking flow rate of a metering device occassionaly is important.
The_Big_K
Okay, I'm a newbie when it comes to chemicals. But I want to know about this!

How do I select 2T oil for my 2 stroke engine motorcycle? What's it with the carbon content [I'm concerned because the local mechanic probably knows a lot more than I do].

Can anyone enlighten me about 2T oils?
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • May 4, 2008
Thank you for your post, gohm. Well my motorcycle doesn't have a metering device.

Could you please talk about importance of 2T oils and where exactly it goes inside the engine? 😀

I'm curious!
chrissy_7
chrissy_7 • Sep 29, 2008
Hi, what motorcycle do you have? and does it have an autolube system or pre mix (does 2t oil go into a seperate tank or mix with fuel) the metering device would be a oil pump on the autolube system if you are unsure prob best if you say what make and model you have, I can tell you which system it has and which oil is best
Regards
Chris
Differential
Differential • Sep 29, 2008
Could you please talk about importance of 2T oils and where exactly it goes inside the engine? :smile:
For 4-stroke engines, there is a provision of supplying engine oil externally. But that is not the case with 2-stroke engine. It requires engine oil mixed in petrol. So if you do not mix oil in petrol (in proper quantity), it will affect engine lubrication resulting into its wear and tear.

Hope this helps.
kurtdaniel
kurtdaniel • Aug 27, 2009
up for this thread..
NX687
NX687 • Nov 11, 2009
Big K , you can ask on an oil forum , Its highly complex,,,,,,, oils these days , I checked one , and boy a lot of info there
kurtdaniel
kurtdaniel • May 4, 2010
Differential
For 4-stroke engines, there is a provision of supplying engine oil externally. But that is not the case with 2-stroke engine. It requires engine oil mixed in petrol. So if you do not mix oil in petrol (in proper quantity), it will affect engine lubrication resulting into its wear and tear.

Hope this helps.
this is absolutely right..2-stroke engine requires engine oil mixed in petrol. ive read that from Haynes repair manuals..

Share this content on your social channels -