2T oil for engines and carbon content

Okay, I'm a newbie when it comes to chemicals. But I want to know about this!

How do I select 2T oil for my 2 stroke engine motorcycle? What's it with the carbon content [I'm concerned because the local mechanic probably knows a lot more than I do].

Can anyone enlighten me about 2T oils?

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Back in my vintage scooter days I used 2T. The important thing is to meet api/iso/jaso requirements for your engine. I actually prefered petroleum 2T oil because it is beng combusted in the 2 cycle process which eliminates several of the benfits of synthetic oil. A good quality brand without using overpriced bike/scooter oil. I also have not seen evidence that syth is any more/less "green" than petroleum 2T oil in both the manufacture process & emissions in general. HOWEVER, they now have ester based 2T oil on the market so I would use that as that does reduce emmissions & is biodegradable! Motul, Maxxima & Estrol all amke a ester based oil. Ensuring proper mixture ration is important too. Does your bike have a metering device or do you pre-mix? checking flow rate of a metering device occassionaly is important.
    The_Big_K
    Okay, I'm a newbie when it comes to chemicals. But I want to know about this!

How do I select 2T oil for my 2 stroke engine motorcycle? What's it with the carbon content [I'm concerned because the local mechanic probably knows a lot more than I do].

Can anyone enlighten me about 2T oils?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for your post, gohm. Well my motorcycle doesn't have a metering device.

Could you please talk about importance of 2T oils and where exactly it goes inside the engine? 😀

I'm curious!
  • chrissy_7
    chrissy_7
    Hi, what motorcycle do you have? and does it have an autolube system or pre mix (does 2t oil go into a seperate tank or mix with fuel) the metering device would be a oil pump on the autolube system if you are unsure prob best if you say what make and model you have, I can tell you which system it has and which oil is best
    Regards
    Chris
  • Differential
    Differential
    Could you please talk about importance of 2T oils and where exactly it goes inside the engine? :smile:
    For 4-stroke engines, there is a provision of supplying engine oil externally. But that is not the case with 2-stroke engine. It requires engine oil mixed in petrol. So if you do not mix oil in petrol (in proper quantity), it will affect engine lubrication resulting into its wear and tear.

Hope this helps.
  • kurtdaniel
    kurtdaniel
    up for this thread..
  • NX687
    NX687
    Big K , you can ask on an oil forum , Its highly complex,,,,,,, oils these days , I checked one , and boy a lot of info there
  • kurtdaniel
    kurtdaniel
    Differential
    For 4-stroke engines, there is a provision of supplying engine oil externally. But that is not the case with 2-stroke engine. It requires engine oil mixed in petrol. So if you do not mix oil in petrol (in proper quantity), it will affect engine lubrication resulting into its wear and tear.

Hope this helps.
    this is absolutely right..2-stroke engine requires engine oil mixed in petrol. ive read that from Haynes repair manuals..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi guys, new to this forum thing and need some help. as part of my final year project in college i have to build an inverted pendulum first using a...
CEans, I'm sure you must have seen it in the news. China's hackers/crackers have declared a cyber war against India. While the news channels don't talk about what's actually being...
CEans, I was wondering if anyone of you can talk about Genetic Engineering. What exactly do genetic engineers do? I bet this discussion will clarify lots of doubts that most...

Hi

Hi, Look forward to working with you all. I may be one of the oldest engineer in this forum but I am still learning and spreading the stored knowledge among...
CEans, The purpose behind starting CE -Finance was very simple. Engineers should have a place where they can talk about finance and benefit from it. I've realized that most of...