249 years old young boy - Great great great (to the nth degree) father of computers

(Sent by friend Asif Adheni)
quote:
Built 249 years ago…
This will fascinate just about all engineers, artists, clock makers, doll makers, computer programers, want-to-be inventors, basically just about anyone out there that likes to tinker. It is truly amazing. Keep in mind that this was built in the 1760's.
Endquote
This is a two and a half centuries old work of art. Yet it is also the forerunner of modern programmable computers. Unthinkable that it is all mechanical.
I am speechless. The thing writes far better than I do.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• lovebox
    lovebox
    I fall short of words to describe the beauty of this machine. It's a wonderful example of what human endeavour can achieve. Genius stuff!
    "A mechanical programmable computer", wow!
    Thank you @#-Link-Snipped-# Sir for bringing it to our knowledge. Truly inspiring!
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Update: Its the work of the great swiss mechanical engineer, master watchmaker Pierre Jaquet-Droz.
    It is a part of the three doll collection: The Writer, The Draughtsman (it could draw portraits, and would even periodically blow on the paper to remove the pencil-dust) and The Musician.
    There is an anecdote that goes like this:
    Pierre Jaquet-Droz once built a clock that surprised everyone with its movement. There were seen on it a dog and a shepherd; when the clock struck, the shepherd played six tunes on his flute, and the dog approached and fawned upon him. This clock was exhibited to the King of Spain, who was delighted with it. "The gentleness of my dog," said Droz, "is his least merit; if your Majesty touch one of the apples, which you see in the shepherd's basket, you will admire the fidelity of this animal." The King took an apple, and the dog flew at his hand, and barked so loud, that the King's dog, which was in the room, also began to bark; at this the Courtiers, not doubting that it was an affair of witchcraft, hastily left the room, crossing themselves as they went out.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its an true engineering marvel of mechanization.Just speec😲hless
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    lovebox
    Update: Its the work of the great swiss mechanical engineer, master watchmaker Pierre Jaquet-Droz.
    It is a part of the three doll collection: The Writer, The Draughtsman (it could draw portraits, and would even periodically blow on the paper to remove the pencil-dust) and The Musician.
    @#-Link-Snipped-#, why not put up details of the other dolls if available? I am sure CEans would love it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

BSNL or Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited has tied up with Pantel Technologies Private Limited to launch three new smartphones in India called Penta Smart PS501, PS650 and the one with...
Samsung Galaxy Duos 2 has popped up on the Samsung India website bearing a price tag of Rs. 10999. The successor of the Galaxy Duos has got the same 4...
sir I have done M.tech in Embedded and VLSI design and I am 2012 december passed out and there is a year break .If I do the DIVESD course ..in...
Tata DOCOMO, one of the leading names in mobile data services in India, has launched a new dongle called the Tata Docomo Photon Max Wi-Fi which offers free national roaming...
Curious to know if there's a minimum speed at which a vehicle can travel? I'm talking about 4-wheelers and did an experiment while parking the car in the parking area....