CrazyEngineers
  • u_know_who
    u_know_who

MemberOct 5, 2011

(111) plane in BCC

Hello, as i mentioned i am studying about crystal structure recently, i am facing another problem. In the book it says that :

(111) plane in BCC does not cut the center atom.

But i do some geometry and i come about that the perpendicular distance from the center of that atom to the (111) plane is 2/3 of the radius of atom. So from my point of view it should cut the atom (since the distance is less than the radius of the atom).

Can anyone help me to find out my mistakes?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberOct 5, 2011

Which crystal are you considering?
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • u_know_who

MemberOct 6, 2011

well, it is said in the post that it is BCC crystal structure.
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberOct 6, 2011

Is the article (or book) referring to any particular material or just generally about BCC structure? The central ion need not have the same radius as the corner ones. This could cause the difference.
    Cancel
  • u_know_who

MemberOct 6, 2011

bioramani
    Is the article (or book) referring to any particular material or just generally about BCC structure? The central ion need not have the same radius as the corner ones. This could cause the difference.
    I can't agree with you regarding this : "The central ion need not have the same radius as the corner ones." Reason? You determine the lattice parameter of BCC crystal a = 4/sqrt(3) * R considering the central atom is the same radius of other atoms.

Someone told me that if a plane cut through the center of the atom then we have to consider that atom, otherwise we have not to bother about it. If i consider his suggestion then well it seems agree with the book.

But what is the reason behind that?
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register