Yahoo CEO Admits Falsely Claiming Computer Science Degree. Does It Matter?

Yahoo hired ex-Paypal president Scott Thompson to save its sinking ship. Scott Thompson had earlier claimed that he has a degree in accounting and computer science. However, Yahoo's investor, Daniel Loeb found out that Thompson does not hold a degree in Computer Science as he claimed. He only holds a degree in accounting. Yahoo acknowledged it as 'inadvertent error' and further said that it does not alert that Mr. Thompson is not a qualified executive.

We don't know what's up at Yahoo and why did Mr. Thompson claim that he has the degree in CS. It could have been a mistake that someone else did. But the point here is; does it matter that the CEO to have a degree in engineering? If no, what parameters should be used to call a person 'qualified'?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I was baffled when I saw most of the tech blogs covering this news to make it spread like wildfire.

Most people are talking about he being a highly qualified liar. And saying that being a liar is what qualifies him to be an executive. After all, most executives are just politicians, and politicians seemingly have a pathological need to lie. 😕 This is so not right.

If I say I have MIT PhD degrees in CS and IT, will I get a job at Yahoo now?
    Yahoo must have hired him for his experience at PayPal since that’s a much better indicator of success than what he majored in.

No matter what Yahoo does, they keep getting bad press.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd not think he's a liar. As I said, it could have been an admin staff's mistake. But who knows? Having a degree is good but it's not a must. Degree is just a sheet of paper, it doesn't guarantee how you work and where do you work.

I remember when working for a big company; I had to reject a candidate just because he didn't have an 'engineering degree', he had this MCA degree but his technical knowledge would put him ahead of CS engineers with 5 years of experience!

#badsystems!
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Yes It matters. He lied..thats what I assume. because, if the admin staff have done the mistake, in the media he would have not blamed the chicago consultant , for the same.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I think its more if moral defamation rather than defamation of his abilities. No one prefers employees with fake CV, let alone it be CEO.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name-Vandana Maurya Trade-INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY Location-thane mumbai occupation-student Hobbies-chatting,reading.
Microsoft declared that Windows 8 will build support for Dolby Digital Plus stereo technology. The codec (also known as Enhanced AC-3) will enable 5.1-channel surround sound in desktop and Metro-style...
When I see the signatures of CEans, I see links to their personal blogs. This discussion is dedicated to finding out the real reasons behind blogging? Is it just about...
I want to present a series of brain teaser problems collected from various sources, for the benefit of GMAT takers looking for some tougher-level questions. Here it goes the first...
Requirement priorities: processor speed Interface and apps screen size > 3.5" I have gone throught some reviews and find HTC Sensation (INR 23000 flipkart) looking best fit for me with...