World's smallest transistor is just 1 nanometer wide

Scientist Ali Javey and his team of talented engineers from Berkeley National Laboratory have succeeded in creating world's smallest transistor ever. The team has created a working transistor that's just about a nanometer thick. If that doesn't drop your jaw, think of a human hair strand that's typically 50,000 nanometers thick! Javey is quite proud of the team's achievement. The gate length is considered as the measure of size of the transistor. Javey and team have demonstrated that with the choice of proper material, a working 1nm transistor is possible. There definitely is more room now to shrink our existing electronic devices.

The key element of the research was carbon nanotubes used with molybdenum disulfide - an engine lubricant typically sold in automotive shops. Perhaps, this development will will allow keeping the Moore's law valid for a few more years.

worlds-smallest-chip
Image Credit Wikipedia​

Until now, the semiconductor manufacturers believed that any gate under 5nm length won't function. However, by changing the material from silicon to MoS2, transistor with even smaller sizes are possible, informed Sujay Desai, a graduate student working with Javey.

As of now, the smallest transistor is a proof of concept. The transistors are yet to be put onto a chip and tested. However, it shows that electronics industry is not limited to 5nm gates for transistors.

Read more on the official source below.

Source: Smallest. Transistor. Ever. - Berkeley Lab – News Center

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There are not a lot of gadgets that you can get for Rs. 2500 or less. The best you can get is the Xiaomi Mi Band 2 that costs Rs....
I stumbled upon the new metrics being rolled out by Google Play team, called "Installs on active devices". This metric will show how many users who've logged on to the...
Polish Engineering firm TPA Instytut Badan Technicznych in Pruszkow has designed the first of its kind luminous bike lane, that opened last week near Lidzbark Warminski in the Mazury region....
We recently decided to launch WhatsApp based help for CrazyEngineers IO (CrazyEngineers RapidResponse) so that we can help you faster and more efficiently. Having faced issues with current operator, we...
Hello folks, I am doing my post graduation and I want to develop a project with title, "developing a technique for implementing captcha". This topic is given to me by...