Worlds First working "Wind Powered Car" invented in Sri Lanka

Worlds First working "Wind Powered Car" invented in Sri Lanka.
[​IMG]

This was built by a young Sri Lankan engineer Nilanga Senevirathne Epa. The sad story is he had never got the media attention, or anything. The car can be driven at 60kmh top speed only using wind power. Most of the European manufactures want him to sell the blue print of this car to their countries but he wants to sell this car from Southern Asia.

Please share this much as you can to support. May be some official may see this and support him someday.

Nilanga: To clear the facts, as to my knowing this car Runs on Kinetic energy of the air sucked in from the front turbines to power up a specially designed engine. Special mechanism is used to maximize the turbine efficiency and rotation. The prevailing air powered cars founded up-to this car; uses compressed Air to power up pistons in the engine, which proved to be dangerous.Its just like running a car with a car bomb. But this Sri Lankan car proved to be 100% safe as to the developer. Its equal to a windmill built in to run the engine.

If anyone is interested in buying this car or support manufacturing or investing please contact:

Nilanga Senevirathne,
N.S.E Automobile Engineers
59 / A, Rathnawali Road, Kalubowila,Sri Lanka
Telephone: +94-06-2182147
Mobile : +94-77-6493957
Fax: +94-11-2785590
Email: Not provided to avoid spam

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not convinced - is this really a production car or just a prototype? Also, the windmill mounted so cloer to the road may not (and it's just my opinion) really work. But I'd love to be proven wrong.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    I'm not convinced - is this really a production car or just a prototype? Also, the windmill mounted so cloer to the road may not (and it's just my opinion) really work. But I'd love to be proven wrong.
    I am trying to contact that person with the given phone numbers. But am not able to. Lets wait and make sure that the info is right... 😀
    The_Big_K
    By any chance can you or someone contact? I give up, am not able to contact using the phone numbers given... 😔
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In my opinion it is a lot of hot air. Such a vehicle will have to travel against a head wind always for the windmill to generate power. Even with a head wind the generated power will have to be less than incoming wind power since one cannot harvest the kinetic energy 100%.
    Does this mean that in still air one cannot start the car? There is no kinetic energy anywhere in that initial condition.

If one reads the write up in a different slant, it is possible that an air craft turbine type of engine is used to create thrust as in an aircraft engine. If so, the cars behind better watch out!
    To me a purely wind powered car is (quite literally) a non-starter.
    bioramani
    In my opinion it is a lot of hot air. Such a vehicle will have to travel against a head wind always for the windmill to generate power. Even with a head wind the generated power will have to be less than incoming wind power since one cannot harvest the kinetic energy 100%.
    Does this mean that in still air one cannot start the car? There is no kinetic energy anywhere in that initial condition.

If one reads the write up in a different slant, it is possible that an air craft turbine type of engine is used to create thrust as in an aircraft engine. If so, the cars behind better watch out!
    To me a purely wind powered car is (quite literally) a non-starter.
    Sir, you posted one of the same kind right. A small vehicle that travels with the wind speed?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Such type of car is possible. But I am not convinced that this car can work just by looking at the image.

Why will it work? We can have a mechanism so that the turbine which generates power always faces the wind.

Why it won't work? It won't work in still air.

#-Link-Snipped-# sir: How about this-
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Wind powered cars are possible; but I doubt whether the model in the picture will really work.

By the way, the design you're talking about is interesting. Do you have a drawing that shows such a design is possible?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Praveen-Kumar
    Sir, you posted one of the same kind right. A small vehicle that travels with the wind speed?
    I did. I did not say I believed it.
    #-Link-Snipped-#: We can have a mechanism so that the turbine which generates power always faces the wind. Let us consider a windless day. The car's movement creates a wind relative to the car, not to the outside environment. If you try to draw power from that movement, you will be operating a perpetual motion system, which as of now is not known to happen. If there is a prevailing wind, and you are moving in a different direction. the apparent wind direction is the vector sum of the directions of the wind and the car. What if it is a true tail wind?

The only wind turbine that may work in that car will be a turbo-jet or a turbine that runs the usual gear transmission. The physics does not gel.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# Wind powered cars are possible; but I doubt whether the model in the picture will really work.

By the way, the design you're talking about is interesting. Do you have a drawing that shows such a design is possible?
    I do not believe that car is a success at least from the looks (as you pointed correctly). I support your reason in post #2-

the windmill mounted so closer to the road may not (and it's just my opinion) really work.
    Let us say, not on road but I am thinking on lines of a flying wind powered car.

Now, it is widely known that flying cars are possible. Moreover, power can be developed from wind. My concept is integrating both. If we are at a certain height, wind will always be available (however with variation in speed.)

So everything is again on ground zero. This idea is stuck in solving basic thermodynamics and work-energy conversions.

I do have some drawings (hand-made sketches). But they have a lot of drawbacks and the concept is still limited to paper and my mind.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    bioramani
    I did. I did not say I believed it.
    #-Link-Snipped-#: We can have a mechanism so that the turbine which generates power always faces the wind. Let us consider a windless day. The car's movement creates a wind relative to the car, not to the outside environment. If you try to draw power from that movement, you will be operating a perpetual motion system, which as of now is not known to happen. If there is a prevailing wind, and you are moving in a different direction. the apparent wind direction is the vector sum of the directions of the wind and the car. What if it is a true tail wind?

The only wind turbine that may work in that car will be a turbo-jet or a turbine that runs the usual gear transmission. The physics does not gel.
    Yes I support the points you have stated. On a wind-less day, we will need some other power source for starting up. But then it defeats the purpose of having a car running on wind (or any other renewable energy source).

Also wind velocity variation is a major concern. We need stable wind supply and it is difficult to have so naturally.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Here is some update:
    These links seem to tell that the car is just an electric car.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Here is another world’s first wind powered car that has already travelled more than 5000KM on wind power:
    World's 1st wind-powered car tested in Australia
    How many world’s first of one item can there be?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am Rini from chennai. doing final year Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I am also a singer(carnatic). How can i utilize this site more effectively?
Anyone here studying from above mentioned colleges ? How is faculty etc ? for higher studies in MTech or Research... Thank you !
I've been getting messages that the social networking giant, Facebook has began banning several accounts that used a most common Hindi slang word that begins with 'C'. While the derogatory...
Should we not have a song of the CEan? This one I_Engineer has a catchy tune: With all the skills available on CE it should be a snap! I loved...
Director of USA Science & Engineering Festival 2012 has just sent an email to us. Check it out - I am asking for your assistance to bring people to the...