Windows 8 Gets Dolby Digital Plus audio codec

Microsoft declared that Windows 8 will build support for Dolby Digital Plus stereo technology. The codec (also known as Enhanced AC-3) will enable 5.1-channel surround sound in desktop and Metro-style apps on both X86 and ARM devices

From the press release:
Developers will be enabled to deliver the highest level of immersive experiences and cinematic sound through Windows 8 APIs in desktop and Metro-style apps, including those developed for x86 and ARM architectures. Dolby Digital Plus 5.1-channel decoding and Dolby Digital two-channel encoding will be supported in all PCs and tablets licensed to run Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, and Windows RT editions.

I'm actually amused about the fact that Dolby Codecs will be supported if the end user chooses to buy Media Center. I mean it is not a deal worth contemplating but at least Microsoft is showing it understands what it would have to do to be competitive against actual software DVD/Bluray players, if they wanted to make money.

What do you think, CEans?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not sure if you really get the 'Dolby Feel' on headphones. To the best of my knowledge it requires a home-theater like speaker setup with powerful woofers and sub-woofers and so on. My knowledge on acoustics is very limited.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When I see the signatures of CEans, I see links to their personal blogs. This discussion is dedicated to finding out the real reasons behind blogging? Is it just about...
I want to present a series of brain teaser problems collected from various sources, for the benefit of GMAT takers looking for some tougher-level questions. Here it goes the first...
Requirement priorities: processor speed Interface and apps screen size > 3.5" I have gone throught some reviews and find HTC Sensation (INR 23000 flipkart) looking best fit for me with...
Many a times I come across people, particularly fresher, who say they have / had the qualification and "trained" in the particular skills to fill a position, but they are...
Claiming that the use of DVDs is on decline on personal computers for playback, Microsoft's Windows 8 engineering team has decided to drop the support for DVD playback. Those who...