Why should we prove already proven mathematical theorems?

I remember in the geometry class, we were asked to do the QEDs, prove the already proven mathematical and geometrical theorems. Maybe the logic was to make us 'aware' how certain proofs were derived and what was the logic. But all I remember was just remembering (mugging) the steps and writing them down. It all seems like an idiotic exercise to me.

What's your opinion about this?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I had this friend of mine, who would read theorems statements , and prove with her own derivations in exams, while we were in class8/9.
    since the ability of deriving needs to be developed - proving already proven theorems is OK. Also, while doing so - we end up knowing more than just the theorem.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    durga
    we end up knowing more than just the theorem.
    ๐Ÿ‘
    Knowing how something happen is always better than "what" is something.
    for example Sum of Two Sides of a triangle is greater than third side.
    Its like you know the source code vs just know about UI.

and I love writing at the end of question,
    Hence Proved (It felt me like I am a Physicist.๐Ÿ˜)
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    yes! i too loved writing - 'hence proved' ๐Ÿ˜
    More than that i loved the 'rough column' we used to make to do rough work
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Edit: posted twice
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    The_Big_K
    I remember in the geometry class, we were asked to do the QEDs, prove the already proven mathematical and geometrical theorems. Maybe the logic was to make us 'aware' how certain proofs were derived and what was the logic. But all I remember was just remembering (mugging) the steps and writing them down. It all seems like an idiotic exercise to me.

What's your opinion about this?
    at first i would feel the same but as i grew older i could feel that deriving a theorem makes the basics clear. also, in the way you get to know more formulas that could prove helpful in solving problems.
    derivations clears the basics and basics are most important for strong journey
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I would repeat what the mountaineer Mallory said in 1924.
    Quote:
    'Because It's There'
    Those famous words were spoken by British climber George Mallory in 1924 when he was asked why he wanted to climb Mount Everest.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Endquote

It is funny, but I still do it occasionally, just to keep my hand in.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    In my opinion. while we try to prove something which was proven already, we gain creativity(but alas, we just mug it up), i.e. we can use those theorems to prove many other theorems by ourselves and who knows we can end up creating our own theorems as well. We gain a very good understanding that never subsides from our memory. Did you know that Ramanujam proved many theorems which were already proven(he didn't know it was already proved but he managed to prove them, Why? Because he understood it well). We can even create elegant proofs rather than mugging the systematic steps. It increases our "Out of the Box" thinking.!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    durga
    yes! i too loved writing - 'hence proved' ๐Ÿ˜
    More than that i loved the 'rough column' we used to make to do rough work
    Generally I prefer prove sums than to come to an answer

deduction is always strangely harder in practice

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi , I'm Doing my final year project in superheater i has to analys in CFD need some reference and some steps how to analys
Sony has announced a new gaming console and it's still called the PS3. The problem is that there's nothing worth noticing except that the new console is 50% slimmer than...
To generate high dc voltage ,i am following voltage multiplier technique.But i succeded up to 8 stages,beyond 8 stages out put voltage is not increasing .I used 4.7u/450V electrolytic capacitors...
why fan winding will damage ,if we connect two condensors to the fan?
I'm studying high voltage electrical engineering and came across this question: How can ground provide return path?