Why only Jio provides VoLTE ?

Has anyone ever thought, why Jio is the only operator capable of providing VoLTE but the other operators are unable to provide VoLTE ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Has anyone ever thought, why Jio is the only operator capable of providing VoLTE but the other operators are unable to provide VoLTE ?
    Reliance Jio is Reliance Industries Limited (RIL)'s foray into the telecom domain. They did it quite smartly - by acquiring Infotel Broadband Services Limited (IBSL). We had Mukesh Ambani's 4G In India By December? back in 2011. I say it was a smart move because IBSL was the only company that had won the broadband spectrum in all 22 circles in India. Ever since, Reliance has the 'right thing', and that is putting up a pan-India fibre optic cable network with about $20 billion investment. Jio has access to 850 MHz in 10 circles, 1800 MHz spectrum in about 6 circles and 2300 MHz spectrum in all 22 circles, with validity that expires in year 2035 (Got that from Jio).

Coming to why only Reliance has the VoLTE capability; well, I'd say it's the foresight of Mr. Ambani and having the strong financial background to be able to put huge money into building the infrastructure. Other operators were super happy offering pathetic 2G/3G data to consumers and I guess did not anticipate the future needs of digital India.

In general, the 1800MHz frequency works the best; and if I'm right, it's the popular choice for 4G services all over the world. Higher frequencies offer better performance within a lower range and I guess that's the reason Reliance is putting up towers almost everywhere. My friend, who works for Jio says they're now putting up additional 1,00,000 towers all over India and are covering even the remotest of the villages.

Perhaps #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# could tell us about the frequency and VoLTE. I'm no expert in telecom domain. 😕
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It has nothing to with the frequencies or spectrum on which LTE is working. I am aware of the answer but I am waiting for someone working in Telecom to jump in, so I can push ahead the debate 😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, it comes to licensing and Jio has all the required ones.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    If this report is to be believed other operators are coming up with VoLTE starting with Airtel.
    www.business-standard.com

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Perhaps you’re looking for a job change or preparing to crack an interview coming up, or maybe you’re an Embedded Software engineer just looking to collaborate with like minded people,...
The technological world of ours boasts to be constantly connected; lion’s share of which goes to the social media networks along with the instant messaging applications. Adding to the likes...
Quote: It’s time we took action to address a growing cultural distaste for technical detail and expert opinion argues The Secret Engineer. Endquote There’s a large elephant in the room...
How many CEans agree with Elan? Quote: Artificial intelligence the "biggest risk that we face as a civilization" Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said Saturday, speaking to state leaders...
THE title of this thread might appear to be quite misleading or something, but i did not know how best to put it though. now here is a situation: a...