Why is linux used in supercomputers?

Most of the modern supercomputers , uses linux based operating systems.Why don't they use Windows?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# You are right on the part that most modern supercomputers use the Linux operating system. But you may see that each company makes its own specific changes to the Linux-derivative they use. Therefore, no industry standard exists, partly due to the fact that the differences in hardware architectures require changes to optimize the operating system to each hardware design.

I think the primary reason behind using Linux could be that it’s open-source. They don't have to work from scratch because they can modify existing drivers.
    Other reasons could be that Linux has been used by millions of users, so it has best support and the widest selection of available software packages and libraries.
    Take a look at this - #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree with above. Linux basically offers a lot of customization and it's basically a UNIX based system. No super-computer will use 'Linux' or its flavors without adding their own bit of customization to it.
  • Sumitha Sweety
    Sumitha Sweety
    yeah..I agree with above... but also it is a virus free opeating system..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sumitha Sweety
    yeah..I agree with above... but also it is a virus free opeating system..
    I doubt that's the consideration made while picking the operating system for Super Computers. It's of course not going to be uBuntu or kBuntu operating out of the box on any supercomputer; but Linux Kernels rewritten for the specific needs.
  • yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    First of all .. its "Free"
    Second, you can customize it according to need
    Third, Virus free software
    Fourth, Wide selection of rpm packages & libs.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Anybody any good SPICE program for Linux. I am in audio HI-FI (beginner) and had LTSpice, but it is only for Windows. Thank you, Michel
Foxconn is the Chinese manufacturer of Apple products. Terry Gou, CEO of Foxconn has said that people should wait for the upcoming iPhone from Apple and not put their money...
On Bagshot Island, there is an airport. The airport is the homebase of an unlimited number of identical airplanes. Each airplane has a fuel capacity to allow it to fly...
Hello friends, I am diploma holder in ECE ... I am abt to go for D2D (diploma to degree) .. as per GTU, i can choose ECE or ICT (Information...
Wind power is a great renewable energy source. With the decreasing investment costs, a lot of people are turning there heads towards wind energy. After gathering a lot of statistics,...