Why does this C Program print "10" five times?

#include

int main()

{

int i;

for(i=0;i<5;i++)

{

int i=10;

printf("%d",i);

}

return 0;

}

why this program prints 10 ,..5 times...the value of i will be changed after a single time operation, in for loop.....?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Inside the loop, you are setting i = 10 and then printing it - 5 times. You'll have to not set i = 10 inside the loop. 

• Shaswat Kumar
    Shaswat Kumar

this program prints 10..5 times in this situation also

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

What change did you make to your code? Remove the  int i=10; part inside the for loop and run again. 

#include

int main()

{

int i;

for(i=0;i<5;i++)

{

printf("%d",i);

}

return 0;

}

This prints 01234 as expected. 

• Shaswat Kumar
    Shaswat Kumar

the code is same,

the output of this code is 1010101010

my question is why this...because once it enters the loop..the value of i will be changed to 10..and the loop will not iterate further because 10 is not less than 5

• kumar prasun
    kumar prasun

u have used int i=10 inside the loop....this causes the value of i equal to 10 every time it enters the loop....that is the int i inside the loop will act as another variable with name i.if u delete the int keyword the output will be 10 only.

both i act as different variables.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

If the code is the same, your output won't change. Here's what you are doing - 

for(i=0;i<5;i++)

{

int i=10;

printf("%d",i);

}

1. The for loop determines how many times the loop will run. In your case, it will run from 0 to 4 (a total of 5 times).

2. Inside the for loop, you are hard-setting the value of variable 'i' to 10. Note that 'i' is set to 10 and it's scope is limited within the for loop. 

3. Then you are printing the current value of 'i' - which is 10. 

4. In essence, you are printing the hard-set value of 'i' which is 10 in each loop. 

If you remove 'i = 10' inside the loop, you will get output as 01234; which I believe is your expected output. 

The value of 'i' isn't getting change to 10. The checks aren't performed inside the loop. Rather, loop runs a level 'above' what's inside. If that makes it easier to understand. 

• Shaswat Kumar
    Shaswat Kumar

yes..u r right..i got it...thanks

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Perhaps you should look at passing by reference and passing by value to understand this in more detail. 

PS: I no longer code in C. It's been over 1.5 decades since I wrote a working C program. ? 

• Shaswat Kumar
    Shaswat Kumar

but i have to study c first.. im in first year in cse branch.. and the questions in exams are basically this type....that's why.....anyways thanks...

i will be asking more question in the coming future...? 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

IN this case, study about the scope of the variables that you assign.

Scope will be local. what is meant by local is if you are assigning some value inside a loop the scope is inside the loop.

The same case goes with the scope of the variable in function. If you declare a function and assign some value to a variable the scope will be limited in that function.

• Shaswat Kumar
    Shaswat Kumar

but the variable is ..same that is i...

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj

but the variable is ..same that is i...

I have a problem with your code if you are trying to declare a variable with the same name twice and if the scope of the variables overlap it will throw a compilation error and not a valid output.

That will be the case in your code snippet. the variable i is declared twice and with overlapped scope and so it will throw an error

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I scored above 80% in 10 th and 12th but have only 6.58cpi in college and I'm in 7th sem right now.  What I fear is that core mechanical companies...
Ahead of his talk at ESC Minneapolis, Rod Cope, CTO of Rogue Wave Software, spoke with us about how open source code ends up in devices without anyone noticing and...
The (in)famous Nityananda is ready to turn science and engineering on their heads.He is gearing up to develop (scientifically, according to him) vocal chords for monkeys and bulls to let...
Actully i was getting the ans as 11 so.iwas having the doubt that if we dont give the value of b will it consider itself n how