Why does JAVA follow UNICODE?

Why java follows Unicode? I searched through books but couldn't find a reason. Can someone explain the need of Unicode in Java. Please be elaborate in replies. Thank you.

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Re: Unicode

Actually unicode provide you 16-bit addressing format.So you can able to address power(2,16) bits of information.
    While in ASCII it's 7-bit(unsigned) and 8-bit(signed).I think you know that ASCII provide you addressing for all the keys what you have on your keyboard.
    With the help of UNICODE you can able to write all the language like hindi,english,japanese etc.

Java provide UNICODE features and with this it can also support ASCII.You must hear about some converters in java like InputStreamReader(which converts bytes to characters),parseInt....etc.
    Due to this UNICODE feature in Java you can able to write many types of languages on applets.
  • Leo
    Leo

mohit007kumar00
    Actually unicode provide you 16-bit addressing format.So you can able to address power(2,16) bits of information.
    Hi Mohit there is a correction, Unicode is not used to address, it was developed to make a character format universal. The previous character format used was ASCII which had 0-127 characters.
    Due to limitation of characters in ASCII it was decided to extend its capability to 8 bit, which never came true, so Unicode Consortium created a universal coding system to provide enlargeable character set which is known as Unicode now. Sun adopted Unicode character format to build Java to provide wide usability of their programming language, without any modification, when regional language problem will occur.

Originally Unicode was a 2 byte code set, but as per today it is 4 byte code i.e characters that available in Unicode to use are 2^32(4,29,49,67,296). And i think this value is quite able to accommodate characters of all languages across the world because Unicode already supports all kinds of characters and more than half are still empty characters that will be filled if we ever felt to add any extra language characters.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu

Ya you are right!!
    Actually i want to say that 16-bit addressing will be done in order to provide UTF-16.
    Leo
    Due to limitation of characters in ASCII it was decided to extend its capability to 8 bit, which never came true.
    What do you mean to say??
    Up to what i know in order to use signed data types you must need 8-bit character encoding and that comes with ISO(it will provide you unsigned ASCII).
    7-bit character encoding(ASCII) provide you only 0 to 127 not -127 to +127.
  • Leo
    Leo
    Sorry that was a writing mistake, i meant ASCII committee decided to extend ASCII characters by increasing number of bits more than 8. This was planned but the feature never came to existence.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am using 3 Phase induction motor . When i open the terminal box terminals are identified like U1-U2,V1-V2,W1-W2. Due to short circuit i have to change the terminal box...
Following video will introduce you to Gmail's priority mailbox. It's being rolled out to standard Gmail and Google Apps over a course of week - [video=youtube;5nt3gE9dGHQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nt3gE9dGHQ[/video]
Please give details of the diferent jsp capable servers.
Stumbled upon this video on Engadget - [video=youtube;03FDr2jFJd4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03FDr2jFJd4[/video]
Mr. Nilekani is ready to roll out the UIDAI project in September in AP state. The project is ambitious and aims to provide unique identification to about 1.2 billion people,...