Which remote desktop software works on LAN?

I'm looking to establish local remote desktop connection (over LAN) between an iMac and a Windows 10 PC. I've tried TeamViewer, but it's too pricey for my needs. 

I've tried configuring the Remote Desktop software from Microsoft, but could not get it to work. I'm guessing there has to be a software that lets me do this for free. 

Could you please recommend any such software? Thank you!

Replies

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

You want to access your windows machine from mac machine and both reside in same network correct?

Or do you want to connect to your PC via internet?

For option 1 , you have to enable remote access to your machine and in Mac there is something called microsoft remote desktop or something that you have to install and you can connect over it.

IF you want to connect through Internet , then you have to setup your VPN server (complicated) and i only see Teamviewer for complete access of computer, but there is something else called Hamachi (got from google) which will allow to move files.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Yes, both machines are connected to the same Router and are part of the same network. I want to avoid the Internet because it introduces unnecessary lag between actions. 

Microsoft Remote Desktop looks like a good option, but it fails to recognise the target machine. I think I'll have to give it a try once again.

TeamViewer works well but it routes the traffic through the Internet. I'm looking for faster, LAN based option. Hamachi is a good option to establish a private VPN; but my requirement is to have remote desktop capability. Not sure if VPN is something to explore. 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

If its same network its remote desktop the best option, you might have done it already but there is a option called remote access ,if you search through it it opens a popup which asks you to do some settings and in advanced also there are some options to explore.

I will check this at home because i remember trying that on machines with same LAN before and it worked.

• Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim

Give a try to Anydesk or Chrome Remote Desktop?

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ and #-Link-Snipped-#‍ - do these software support LAN based remote desktop connections? I'd be looking at a freeware option. 

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

#-Link-Snipped-#‍, what #-Link-Snipped-#‍ mention are still using internet while VNC you can use in LAN also. You can't do file transfer in VNC but you can have view and control.

• yorha 2b
    yorha 2b

Try freerdp - #-Link-Snipped-#

PreBuilds · FreeRDP/FreeRDP Wiki · GitHub

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What are all the websites that are available today to know the abbreviations, acronyms, some important dates, days, countries, capitals, presidents, states, capitals, chief ministers, etc., general topics
Hello CE,I finished my BE with 55% score from VTU and couldn't get placed in any campus placement drives because of criteria.I think I have the understanding of technology and...
hey guys, I am studying diploma in mechanical engineering of 3rd year. So I have project in this sem. So you will help me , What kind of projet I...