Which Programming Language Should You Learn?

Learning a programming language is a daunting task. Picking one from the plethora out there can be incredibly difficult, especially if you don’t understand the differences between them.

#-Link-Snipped-# has created a handy infographic which will make the decision much easier for you. The graphic compares ten popular programming languages, describing various aspects of each so you can decide which one is right for you.

You first want to decide why you want to learn to code. Do you want to develop web pages, video games, or mobile apps? Or are you more interested in data analysis? Although some languages can be used for a variety of purposes, some are more useful for specific tasks.

Made your decision, set aside a good chunk of time – learning to program is tough work!

[​IMG]

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    This looks really interesting. Would be even more interesting to see the data from India or Asia.

My personal opinion is that the very first language you learn should be syntactically easy. It should let you focus on understanding the concepts and how the different loops work rather than worrying about the syntax.

The first "language" i learnt was FoxPro in my school days. The syntax was just like English! I could pick up the concepts really easily. Now afer 12 years I am now working with Perl and all i need to worry about are the specifics.

Also, to make decent money a programmer probably needs to be aware of 2 - 3 languages at least. Its a competitive world!! 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I remember dabbling with FoxPro for a few days and then completely giving up on it for C. I could only write basic programs in C and that's all about it. I think in the near future, we'll see Java, JavaScript, Python and PHP gaining more popularity. It's just my wild guess.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Java, C++ and Javascript still rule! And both of them are here to stay for long.
    I am sure they will be a lot of YAYs to see 'Python' topping so many charts.
    Python's popularity has just begun. With everyone's dream job to be in Google or Facebook, the popularity level is simply going to explode in years to come.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    python has been one of the oldest languages. it was invented in 1991, it has a good user community ,under constant development and release, great packages , flexibility of being a beginner and expert language which makes it quite a mature language .
    language is old, popularity is new.But again you don't learn language based on its popularity, you learn what ever is required to get your job done.
    like - because Mandarin is growing popular to be second best spoken language, you don't learn Mandarin if you want to survive in Spain.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    durga
    ...because Mandarin is growing popular to be second best spoken language, you don't learn Mandarin if you want to survive in Spain.
    Well said! 😀
  • showstealer
    showstealer
    awesome & comprehensive list !!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I know that lots of new programming language is introduced in a market, Based on interest it is difficult to decided, because for a every New technology new language is...
I have read the news that nokia is coming back to the market and hiring software experts,and testers,as all of know that this company is once the biggest maker of...
This is my project topic So I have facing many problems, The problem is 1)When I gave security for particular file (.doc,.pdf) etc . If I open that decrypted file...
I m final year student of ME CSE so I wanted to discuss regarding research and thesis. I am comfortable to work with java language to implement my research project....
A lot of students have confusion about the career choices after that have completed graduation (B.E or B.Tech) in the field of biotechnology. This discussion is to share various opportunities...