Which chemical chills water?

I have have heard that chilled water bottle dispenser just immerse a thin wooden stick preimmersed in  a chemical to chill the water. 

Which chemical it could be?Which Chemical chills water? We are used to use chilled water served in opaque plastic bottle at a throw away price.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I'm not sure if you're talking about Chemical that needs to be 'mixed' with Water in order to freeze it. 

IMHO, Liquid Nitrogen is something you should be looking at. Tagging our own Wikipedia, #-Link-Snipped-# sir. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Sorry, no.

Certain salts like ammonium nitrate can cool water on dissolution. Not much though. One certainly cannot drink that. Water has a very high heat capacity. To cool one litre water from 30 deg C to 10 deg C one needs to remove 20 kcalories of heat. That is a fair amount of cooling.

For heavens sake please do not try to chill drinking water by dissolving a chemical in it, unless you have a good hospital easy to access.

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have taken JEE Main 2019 exam in previous year can i take the same exam again this year
I have done my SSC with 65%, HSC "F" + 1 year extra on re-exam not cleared, again got admission in Diploma on basis of 10th cleared with 60%  yet...
Materials Engineering/Ceramic. Looking to seek other material besides plastic, ceramic, or stainless steal.
I think that a bike which runs with petroleum is not affordable now a days for the people of poor community since the petrol price in India keeps on increasing...
Many people struggle with guesstimates in the interviews of non-technical companies.