What's your ideal salary to be happy & satisfied?

I remember whenever I visited campuses for recruiting candidates for the company I worked for, the most often and obvious question was "What's the salary package you're offering?". While it's quite exciting to get your first salary; I've seen a continual dissatisfaction with the amount of money people earn as their monthly salary or paycheck. I'd often question my colleagues what'd be the ideal salary that would make them happy and satisfied.

Unfortunately, no one knew the answer to that question. Few people would just quote a figure that was about double what they were making but they were not quite sure. 'The More The Better' was the most often answer. So, in short, people were chasing what wasn't certain and not defined (just as in division by zero).

I thought it'd be quite interesting if I asked this question to all our fellow CEans who're in the workforce and those who're going to join the companies once their graduation is complete. So go ahead, tell me what's your ideal salary / pay package that would make you happy, satisfied that you won't complain about being 'underpaid' all the time. Some people do; I know.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Probably I should not be answering this at all as I am at the other end. There may be no pay packet any more.
    However, the only thing that exercised me in all the five assignments (including the current one) was the purely selfish one of whether the job would interest me. Salary was incidental.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Even i was going to ask similar question but didn't know what words to put down

The real problem is peer pressure.

I would like a job which i find passionate to me and a life which is simple. But what about people around me.
    It always matters to us what others do and what they think.This trend is so common that many of us won't recognize it.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    grsalvi
    The real problem is peer pressure. I would like a job which i find passionate to me and a life which is simple.
    That is the issue. I never asked anyone's opinion. Come to think of it, I was much of a loner and so very few peers to apply pressure. My parents were gems and never forced anything on me in education or career excepting my mom's wanting me to do a PhD (which I did not do).

Peer pressure may give one cash in the bank. It can also give you type II diabetes and a cardiac condition.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    bioramani
    That is the issue. I never asked anyone's opinion. Come to think of it, I was much of a loner and so very few peers to apply pressure. My parents were gems and never forced anything on me in education or career excepting my mom's wanting me to do a PhD (which I did not do).

Peer pressure may give one cash in the bank. It can also give you type II diabetes and a cardiac condition.
    Sir, i completely agree with you and at core i know after all its is peace and happiness which matters.But at this young age with little experience ,we find it completely a book thing and not reality.
    The current trend of economy ,society and education system has made students to run behind one goal and then another to reach a end (which is fictitious ).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For me, I've setup a goal for myself as to the total amount I want as my 'net worth'. If I achieve it; the rest of the money will go into social causes and I've a big list of things to do. I know that approach isn't usually appreciated; but that's me!

My ultimate goal is to generate wealth for people and create systems that continue to help people at all the levels.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    For me, I've setup a goal for myself as to the total amount I want as my 'net worth'. If I achieve it; the rest of the money will go into social causes and I've a big list of things to do. I know that approach isn't usually appreciated; but that's me!

My ultimate goal is to generate wealth for people and create systems that continue to help people at all the levels.
    Go for it K, more power to your elbow!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey frndss i m from mechanical ... i want ur help regarding any workshop or event related to automobile or some creative machinary which has a desirable use to the...
Microsoft has officially opened registration for new Windows 7 users (who purchase Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 – January 31, 2013) to upgrade to Windows 8. Microsoft is...
hey, I am TOMCY THOMAS and i graduated this yr in mechanical engg. i got a decent GPA of 6.8 and wud like to pursue my MS in automobile engg....
you can download freely available open source operating systems just visit https://www.livecdlist.com/ ...you can use them for different purposes like... os installation,server,entertainment,desktop and many more....
😘 Google has officially launched online music store..it is currently only available in the US....