What should be the PIV rating of diodes in the circuit

-

hello ,

I have assignment and there is the following question in it
Actually I answered some of them but I am not sure
I Drew the circuit and I tried to put here but I couldn't ,
However, these are the questions

1-what should be the PIV rating of diodes in the circuit ?

my answer :
We used bridge rectifier diode in the circuit which has PIV which should be more than 130 v in this " the maximum voltage" which should be safely applied , otherwise the diode will breakdown , also it should be at least 50 volts at room temperature because it effective by room temperature , it increase with it and decrease with it too. Another Point It is important to remember that this is a peak value of voltage not the root-mean-square (RMS) value. As a
“Rule -of-Thumb, to provide a margin of safety, the PIV rating of a diode should be at least 3 times the RMS .
note : 130 the input voltage

2- if one of the diode in the rectifier is opens , what should be the possible output voltage ?

3- if one of the diode in the bridge rectifier shorts what are the possible consequences ?

4- discuss the effect of change in the value of filter capacitor used ?

5- what happens to output voltage of a rectifier if the capacitor becomes very leaky ?

6- if the primary winding of the transformer in the power supply , what will you observe in the rectified output ?
Any change in the primary current will cause a change in the flux, which then induces avoltage in both the primary and secondary coils.

7- the dc output voltage of the filtered rectifier is less thae it should be . what could be the problem ?

the voltage diodes dropped because of the deplition region ​
==​
please can you check my answer and help me to find the rest answer ?!!​
thanks alot ​

Replies

• Rifaa
    Rifaa
    PIV is the peak inverse ( reverse ) voltage you can apply to a diode or PN junction before it breaks down.
    Which basically means the diode will short circuit if the PIV is reached.
    A diode has two voltage rating
    1 is forward voltage. 0.6V for a typical silicon diode.
    2 is the reverse voltage which it will block the flow of current for any given voltage.
    Zener diodes is an exception

for ex: take 1N4001 Which is a 1 A general purpose diode and it has a PIV rating of RMS 50 volts. So to say if u apply any voltage beyond PIV forward or reverse, you'll get faulty diode. may open or short circuit, might get leaky too 😉
    I can answer the rest if u post back.
    It's really sad to see tht CE's don't visit regularly or answer newbies. I think they are too busy.
    I am too, but I'll help if time permits

Cheers

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What do you think about the education style in india?
need help with designing electricity distribution network for a rural area that uses renwable energy as a source of energy. 😁specifically specifications of the cheapest components avaliable on the market
Hello friendz.. I am a B.Tech 2nd year(Computer Science) student..Want to pursue some enrichment course or summer training after 2nd year.. Can somebody help me to sort out the things....😕...
In a recent post, Sarah Lacy posed the question of whether Israel has lost its mojo. It looks like AOL believes the mojo is still very much somewhere in the...
We had our second official CrazyEngineers meet in Delhi, India on 28th March 2009. It was a very productive meeting with ideas flying all around the place! We met at...