What is the sole purpose for selection of various firing orders by companies?

Why different companies use different firing order ?
we know that firing order will be defined to the companies requirements.Whether it may be power or efficiency or sound.We know that following firing order are used : 2stroke engine-12,
3stroke-132,123,
4stroke-1432,1342,1243,1324,1234,
5stroke-12453,
6stroke-153624,143625,165432,123456,142536,145236,163254,162435,162534,
And the list expands as above said in wiki while i searched.So i want to know what is the exact reason behind this?
what will be the criterias considered for selection of firing order?
Different reasons were explained by my friends such as to reduce vibration.Some of them say that it will depend on design considerations and some
How to find the firing order in a car ?what should be noted to find firing order?
Please explain in brief.

Replies

• Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    The exact reason behind selecting firing order is balancing. I.C. Engines mostly use slider crank mechanism which creates an unbalanced force when it works. the unbalance is a function of crank angle . So, firing order is set so that the net force of unbalance tends to be zero. This will increase life of crankshaft and result in a design which would include less weight of shaft used. Also it will aid in smooth running of engine.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    S.mukherjee
    The exact reason behind selecting firing order is balancing. I.C. Engines mostly use slider crank mechanism which creates an unbalanced force when it works. the unbalance is a function of crank angle . So, firing order is set so that the net force of unbalance tends to be zero. This will increase life of crankshaft and result in a design which would include less weight of shaft used. Also it will aid in smooth running of engine.
    Yes but if they use same number of cylinders why do they want yo use different firing order?
    Is it to show their uniqueness or for better efficiency ?
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes but if they use same number of cylinders why do they want yo use different firing order?
    Is it to show their uniqueness or for better efficiency ?
    No friend, there is nothing related to show off. The firing order will differ if the orientation of the cylinders is changed. Even the different cylinder arrangements you see like V, inline, boxer etc. are chosen seeing the ease of balancing them and also seeing the application of the automobile. For example, a high rpm engine will like to use a V arrangement than an inline one. Now, there are cases where the cylinder configuration is same yet the firing order is different. For this, what i can say is that if you have a four cylinder engine. to dynamically balance the forces you may have more than one combination of crank angle orientation. So, will the firing order change in acordance with it. In simple words you can say that (12=4*3) and (12 is also= 6*2).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name: Don *Engineering Trade: Industrial Location: St. Louis, MO. USA *Occupation: (Working) at BIN (BIN95.com) an industrial training company. Work Experience: (industrial automation) *Hobbies & Interests: TDC and PLCs *Aim...
I have two memory cards with similar problems.The main problem is that my memory card cannot be accessed by through both phone and pc.But If I insert it in my...
WHY? (From most likely to least.) #1 Factor: Environment #2 Factor: Brand/Model #3 Factor: Electrical Design supporting PLC #4 Factor: PLC Management WHAT? (From most likely to least.) PLC output...
Gionee Mobile India has launched a new phablet in its GPad series called the Gionee GPad G3. Based in Delhi, Gionee is a company that has been steadily launching new...
A successor to the Q700 smartphone, Flipkart has listed the new smartphone XOLO Q700i at a price in India tag of Rs. 11,999. Though the domestic handset and tablet manufacturer...