What is the maximum number of strokes an engine can have?

The question is simple - we have seen single stroke (?), 2-stroke, 4-stroke, 6-stroke engines and my curious mind is enquiring what is the maximum number of stroke any engine can have? Is there any upper limit to it?

This could very well be your viva or a job interview question, folks! Looking forward to your answers.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    It all depends on the one who innovates it.There os no limit for nothing.If we strive hard and focus on the design we could probably get a new number of stroke.There is always a small scope for improvement and innovation.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    If higher the stroke count the number of idle strokes will increase

This can really mess with your efficiency and pick up of your engine Higher stroke numbers the torque of your engine needs to be higher.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I think 6 is the limit.

#-Link-Snipped-#

what you have said is only true for single-cylinder engines.
  • priyesh_kolte
    priyesh_kolte
    If we think about changes in engines like "wankel" results will be interesting...but in general strokes can be varied to any numbers theoretically. But as these designs are accepted only on basis of efficiency, the limit answers lies in cycles that engines follows.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just read the news that Reliance Infocom has slashed 3G data tariff by about 50%, and their latest offering is 1GB data download for only Rs. 123. Makes me...
You can nominate your college to be a regional center for The AerotriX All India Ornithopter Challenge - in association with Ornithopter Zone (USA), NSSC (IIT Kharagpur) and TechNITi'13 (NIT...
The more I read about the Curiosity rover that's currently supposedly roaming on Mars - the more skeptical I get about the whole rover on the distant planet thing. I...
Most of my friends dreamed of starting their own venture after gaining a few years of experience in the industry and accumulating some money? I want to know from CEans...
in dc generator it was said that if a current which we will obtain depend on the voltage and the current will not change even if it pass through resistor...