what is r value, l value error in c??

can anybody give a clear explanation about 'r' and 'l' value error in c.....

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I am not in C progamming any more but I found this, it might help you.
    Suppose the code is
    int i;
    i=5;
    here i is lvalue and 5 is Rvalue.
    the code 5=i;
    generateserror lvalue required.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Did you get an error in a specific program? We can be of better help if you share the exact problem with us.

The difference between an l-value and an r-value can be used for eliminating a common bug.
    Programmers sometimes wrongly replace the = operator for the == operator.
    This reverses the order of an equality expression, placing the r-value on the left, like this:
    if (0==x) //instead of x==0
    When placing the r-value on the left, mistyping the == operator as the = operator triggers a compilation error:
    if (0=x) // error: "L-value required"
    Although this isn't the most intelligible error message, it certainly catches the bug.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    during the process of assignment of value to the variable whichever variable comes on the left hand side of equals sign is the lvalue meaning left_value. On the other hand the variable or a value appearing on the right hand side of equals sign is the rvalue meaning right_value.

The concept of rvalue and lvalue was just a theoretical notion that came into being on account of confusion that arose between = and == operators.

for example, consider

a = 9;
    a = b;
    in the first case the value of a is assigned to be 9. this implies lvalue is a and rvalue is 9
    in the second case lvalue is a while rvalue is another variable b.

Note that lvalue should necessarily be a variable. On the other hand rvalue can be a varaible or a constant of appropriate data type
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    during the process of assignment of value to the variable whichever variable comes on the left hand side of equals sign is the lvalue meaning left_value. On the other hand the variable or a value appearing on the right hand side of equals sign is the rvalue meaning right_value.

The concept of rvalue and lvalue was just a theoretical notion that came into being on account of confusion that arose between = and == operators.

for example, consider

a = 9;
    a = b;
    in the first case the value of a is assigned to be 9. this implies lvalue is a and rvalue is 9
    in the second case lvalue is a while rvalue is another variable b.

Note that lvalue should necessarily be a variable. On the other hand rvalue can be a varaible or a constant of appropriate data type
  • tanvisharma
    tanvisharma
    thank you all 😀
  • Aviskar
    Aviskar
    can anybody tell me what is this pointer and how it is used in c++?
  • amitabh1608
    amitabh1608
    refer any c++ book
  • Anthoni Raj
    Anthoni Raj
    AbraKaDabra
    #-Link-Snipped-# Did you get an error in a specific program? We can be of better help if you share the exact problem with us.

The difference between an l-value and an r-value can be used for eliminating a common bug.
    Programmers sometimes wrongly replace the = operator for the == operator.
    This reverses the order of an equality expression, placing the r-value on the left, like this:
    if (0==x) //instead of x==0
    When placing the r-value on the left, mistyping the == operator as the = operator triggers a compilation error:
    if (0=x) // error: "L-value required"
    Although this isn't the most intelligible error message, it certainly catches the bug.

Your answer is good...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

https://view.email.globalspec.com/?j...11175&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe2015797d600274751c72&r=0
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ggest-crocodile-early-humans-science-animals/
my name is anurag and I'm doing B.Tech in Electronics and communication. I stay in Delhi and I'm pursuing my B.Tech degree in Kerala. I like to listen songs and...
Can someone give me a bird's eye view of the MVC (Model-View-Controller) architecture typically used in software design? I've been looking for simpler definitions online but looks like people need...
I think we discussed this before but it won't hurt to repeat. Lot of people use the word 'softwares' to describe multiple number of software products / suits installed on...