What is a server?

Server is a physical component or server is a software program in client server architecture?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    aarthivg
    Server is a physical component or server is a software program in client server architecture?
    Server is essentially the software that serves the requests made by the client.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Server is basically a computer hardware system dedicated to serve the users.
    While, Client server architecture partitions the workload between provider of source (also known as server).
    In point of view of client server architecture .. server is computer program which performs calculation in behalf of clients. In Client server architecture, the clients are connected through network with server computer.

Generally speaking, server is machine with set of programs offering different types of service with clients, which requests to do certain tasks.
    There are many types of servers : file server, print server, cloud server, web server, proxy server, dedicated server, application server, database server, gaming server ... am i missing anything ??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hardware itself wouldn't be called a 'server', right? It's the software that makes things happen. Or am I wrong? 😨
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Big_K
    Hardware itself wouldn't be called a 'server', right? It's the software that makes things happen. Or am I wrong? 😨
    you're right biggie .. just hardware doesn't make "server"
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    A server is anything which 'serves'.

It might be a software in a computer, it might be a computer itself.. It might also be just a machine with only an OS and a hard-disk in it.. Depending on what or whom it serves, the name of the server varies. If it serves web pages, it's a web server. If it serves files over ftp or sftp, it's a file server, and so on..
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The_Big_K
    Hardware used only for 'serving', ie., hardware where the software that serves is running will also be called a server right?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    silverscorpion
    Hardware used only for 'serving', ie., hardware where the software that serves is running will also be called a server right?
    Well, that's right. The thing is software and hardware can't work in isolation. But that could be wrong - are there any pure electronic servers that need no code to serve?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Big_K
    Well, that's right. The thing is software and hardware can't work in isolation. But that could be wrong - are there any pure electronic servers that need no code to serve?
    I doubt that.
    But I would love to get more information on it, if they exist.
  • apple6
    apple6
    Server is a software program that serves the requests.
    A computer or computer program that manages access to a centralized resource or service in a network.
  • Jalajpachouly
    Jalajpachouly
    Server is a software program which listens the request from local or remote client, and serves them, thats why is called server 😀. Client which makes call ( usually HTTP) also called Consumer.
  • hare singh nayak
    hare singh nayak
    as we listen the term server we think that a highly configured machine but server is not a highly configured machine it is a software like Appache ,wemp,iis,etc
    if i am wrong than correct me

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There's a boombox at my work that's getting very old. Despite that my coworkers listen to horrible music that I cant stand to the point where I have to put...
hi i am venkatesh basically i dont have idea in andriod . but i whant to do aproject in android . if what plat form they are using . like...
Eid al-Fitr (Ramzan Id, Eid-ul-Fitar, or Idul-Fitr) is a gazetted holiday in India. It celebrates the end of Ramadan and marks the first day of the Islamic month of Shawwal....
Hello All, This is Muhammad Hanif-Mechanical Engineer from Pakistan. Graduated in Mechanical Engg. in the year 2008, from NED university of Engg. & Tech. Karachi, Pakistan. I have 4 years...
I'm designing a steering wheel mechanism on solid works. But once assembled, two teeth of the pinion on both side of the tooth and groove which are in contact are...