what exactly happening while Data from source to destination

Hi Team,

I am new to this blog. I have this question in my mind a long days. I asked this question to someone, but the information is not enough for me.

As we know about OSI layer plays a vital role in Networking. Each and every layer is responsible for data to reach destination whether it is in same or different LAN. Initially Binary(physical) data --> frame( data link ) -->packet( Network ) --> segment --> ( Transport ) --> session ( port )--> presentation (data format ) --> Application ( UI )

For example if we sending mail form outlook, data processed from Application layer and continues to reach destination. My question is how many times each layer functions are required when data from source to destination.

According to my understanding, PC's application layer --> PC's presentation layer --> Pc's etc........while reaching Ethernet physical port of PC (i.e) Lan port in Pc, how many layer functions done. Then what process will take to travel in to ethernet cable --> switch --> router --> WAN --> router --> switch --> server

Please help me to know actual process happening when data travelling from client source to server destination.

Regards,
RAJA

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    tagging #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi,
    The packet isencapsulated from top down.that is from application to phy layer.
    Depending on the type of intermediate device- the packets are decapsulated.
    For example- if the intermediate device is a switch, layer1 and layer2 headers are opened ,read , proceeded and new headers are added.

If the intermediate device is a router, l2 and l3 headers are rebuilt.
    So to answer your question- if it's an end device all the functions are executed, else only those functions relevant to the intermediate device are executed
  • RAJA NATARAJAN
    RAJA NATARAJAN
    Hi Durga,
    Thanks a lot for your valuable reply. your answer is enough for my question exactly.
    Now I understood the process of data transmission in Networking.

WELL...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Firends, I had done BTech Electrical and I have 9+ Yrs Experience in Project Execution in Industrial Projects and as a Quality inspector experience in On Shore Oil &...
Would it be possible to make a product like this for a reasonable price on a large scale?
Hi Ceans, Is 2 TB of external hard disk at price of 6099/- rupees is a costly one or nominal one ? Brand "Seagate" not other brands. Please cast your...
Hi guys, this is my first post here, it is about a video I made about sensors and instruments used in industry today. Here it is: Looking forward to your...
hello i want to ask question if i design using code ASCE7-10 and i want to define Eqx and Eqy and i am not from USA how i can define...