What are the three laws of Robotics By Isaac Asimov?

Have you heard about the term called, Asimov's "The Three Laws" of Robotics.

These laws are a set of three rules written by sci-fi author Isaac Asimov and later expanded upon. The rules are introduced in his 1942 short story Runaround although they were foreshadowed in a few earlier stories.

The Laws are as follows:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Later on they went to add more laws in the series.

Fourth Law in Icarus's Way is:

"A robot must establish its identity as a robot in all cases."

Fourth Law in Foundation's Friends:

"A robot must reproduce. As long as such reproduction does not interfere with the First or Second or Third Law."

Fifth Law of robotics:
"A robot must know it is a robot."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this information amusing and so I thought I should share it with CEans.

Replies

• makru921
    makru921
    Interesting... The first time i heard about these laws was when i was chatting with 'Cleverbot' (Cleverbot.com - a clever bot - speak to an AI with some Actual Intelligence?) 😀
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Have all these laws been followed in the Terminator series?
    PS: I'm only talking about Arnold's character.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Why will these laws work?
    I can program a robot to do anything I want.
    viz;I can program a robot to harm a human,itself or can program it not to follw anyone's order.
    aren't these things possible?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can somebody help me,i want 2 utilise generated electricity through walking in a better way my generated volts r 5-7 volts only ,is there any way lyk body temperature display...
CEans, We've enabled 'Memcached' on CrazyEngineers. We expect the pages should load faster now. Just wish to know whether you're noticing any difference in speed?
The scientists at The Royal Institute Of Technology have discovered a new molecule composed of oxygen and nitrogen only that can give a huge boost to the conventional rocket fuels....
We have lot of CEans in the Corporate field working in various companies with different work cultures. This is the time, the freshers are getting jobs and in a short...
Hey guys, Today i found a really cool feature of wiki pages. Many of CEans may know it. But this post is for those who don't know.I am sure they...