Volkswagen XL1 To Be World's Most Fuel Efficient Hybrid Car - 261 miles/gallon

Engineers at Volkswagen have set their eyes on building the world's most fuel efficient hybrid car and are aiming to achieve 261 miles per gallon (mpg) aka 110 kilometers per liter. The Volkswagen XL1 is likely to be the car that gets the crown. At present, the rival companies viz. Honda, Scion, Mitsubishi and Ford have mpg equivalents 50% of what Volkswagen is proposing for the XL1. Looks like the competition in the Hybrid car segment is getting fierce with the Germans declaring fuel efficiency war on rivals.

According to DesignNews, VW XL1 has incorporated almost every known fuel efficiency improvement technology in the XL1 - which has been under development for quite some time now. Automobile engineers have incorporated all the low-weight parts to keep the fuel requirements of the car to lowest possible.

slide
Image Credit: Volkswagen AG​

The XL1 could also be the car with the lowest drag coefficient in the history of passenger cars. VW is expecting it to be at 0.189 while rival Prius has 0.25, EV1 at 0.195 and Tesla S at 0.24.

In order to break the record of being the world's most fuel efficient hybrid car, XL1 will rely on 5.5 kWH li-ion battery which would power the 27 HP electric motor for 32 miles, only on electric energy. A 47 HP turbo diesel engine will have the responsibility for the remaining miles. The max speed of the car, as we learn is capped at 99 mph.

The company of course hasn't attached a price tag to the car but has promised to begin the production as soon as possible. The officials have been talking about producing only 250 XL1s but if the car delivers what it promises, I'm sure the bookings would surge to several thousands.

Do you think Hybrid is the way to the future?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    we can't really say whether hybrid is the way to the future or not.

but the days of petrol and diesel engines are numbered. Many researches are going at present in developing I.C to run on bio-fuels.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Volkswagen XL1, the concept car by Volkswagen is certainly an impressive one. The profile of the car is very similar to Volkswagen L1 concept but Volkswagen XL1 concept has a more dynamic, robust and energetic look. The battery can then be easily charged from a traditional electric outlet. The new VW XL1 concept is expected to deliver an awesome mileage of about 111 km per litre, which concluded that #-Link-Snipped-# concept is free from any competition. It is also expected to come in the price range of Rs. 5 - 8 lac.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    And as far as the Hybrid concept is consider, they may become the dominant technology for all purpose road cars in future having advantage over electric cars.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

People love to talk about recession and a general slow-down in the IT industry. Whenever companies reduce the pace of hiring, people think we're going through recession. There can be...
BITS Pilani, one of India's premier engineering colleges, has organised Conquest 2013 - an International Startup Conclave. The official website of the event makes it clear that it's not a...
MAY I KNOW THE FUNCTIONS OF USING CLEATS IN MECHANICAL STRUCTURAL FABRICATION WORK.
I have this project that requires me to show how instrumentation can be used. Because of limited time and financial constraints I am hoping to hear of creative ways to...
I am dineshlkpm. i was selected by L&T infotech when they have conducted off campus interview in don basco college bangalore on 12th and 13th july 2012. on 4th aug...