Using HDMI as a data port?

Some guy asked the following in PCMAG website. It was something interesting to think at and I wonder if any one has a concrete answer to this. Here's what he had asked-

Can someone please tell me why HDMI that is built into my laptop for video/audio can't be used as a data port. If I have a solid state drive that is external I should be able to use a HDMI interface that screams at about 10GB/sec.
The incremental speed increases of USB to satisfy legacy drive technology will keep all of us waiting and waiting for our data to go from one place to another
what this guy wanted to tell was that even with USB 3 in place, the actual data transfer speeds wont go to 5gbits/sec as specified. this is because its a theoretical value and many limiting factors bring the actual speeds drastically down. This guy wants to know if the HDMI port (which has a bigger bandwidth for data transfer) can be used for data transfer purposes by creating some kind of interface for SSDs to connect through the HDMI ports too.

So, is this possible ?If yes then 'how' and if not then 'why'?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In c data type structure is present ,structure allow to use different data type like int,char in the same program,my question is ,is structure return any value ?if it return...
The oldest telecommunications used an operator sitting at a switchboard. You would lift the ear piece off the hook on your phone and then turn a crank. The crank was...
Here's our official review of book "Nothing Can Be As Crazy" by author Ajay Mohan Jain. The book is about curious ways of urban middle class life. Link: Book Review:...
Hi all! I am implementing a project about billard management using C# and SQL Server. I have problems in connecting database.For example, I want to insert, delete or update in...
hai friends i need some of the details about the online courses which are available free ware in internet.this course must help in my project work and also to enhance...