Types of Sensors and How To Use Them

Just A NOOB in robotics Just Wanting To Get A Better Understanding of Sensors in General and needing information explaining uses of sensors so when i make a project using sensors i know what sensor to use

Say Im Making a robot that follows a dark line i would use a ______ sensor . . .

Or What Sensor Helps a robot to stop before it falls off a "cliff" use a ______ sensor

Sensors that count how many cans passed by on a production line or somthing

Or a sensor that senses when a object is there or not for an arm to pick up the object

Any Web Links to my questions or fun projects to make would be useful to me- thanx

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Sensors are just devices which 'sense'. Nothing more..

They are just transducers which convert some quantity x into another quantity y.
    By measuring y or the change in y, you can correspondingly deduce x or the change in x, as the case may be.

As to what sensors to use in your robot, that is also largely your choice.. Depending on the requirements for the robot, your proficiency with a particular kind of sensor and some other things like cost and ease of use, you can select your sensor.

For example, in your line following robot, you can use a IR transmitter and receiver or a photoresistor and a LED, or even a laser sensor if you want that much accuracy.
    Similarly for a robot to sense a cliff, same thing can be used. Use an IR sensor. If you're on the floor, you'll get a reading from the sensor. If you go to a cliff and are about to fall, sensor output will be zero. Use that..

All the four cases you mentioned in the post are instances where something called "Proximity sensors" are used. Just google it and you'll get a pretty good idea about it and how to use it in your robot too.

All the best! Do ask any doubts or difficulties you might face! 😀
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    You will need IR sensor in all cases. It is a easy to use thing as you only want a very limited amount of information to be detected. It's hard to tell you how to use them here! One best site i know is Google! Search it, find it.. else mail me! 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Alright, you've done fixing all the parts, writing code, getting all motors to work. The tougher part is ahead - naming your robot. Why not collect all the cool and...
The life-path of most of the engineering students is very well defined. School - Jr. College - Engineering College/School - Post Graduation - Job - Retirement. The 'crowd' mentality has...
Earthquake activities occurs everyday all around this world. Because of the fast growing number of buildings..high rise buildings or skyscrapers, it is necessary that these structure will ensure safety or...
There are many final year engineering students here on CrazyEngineers. If you've been placed through campus recruitments, we'd love to know where you've been placed. 😀
CEans, There's a growing interest in attending CE Meets and CEans are ready to travel to attend the meet. This calls for arranging our first ever all-India meet. This thread...