Truecaller Hacked?

We've been getting reports from the social media that the Syrian Electronic Army has hacked Truecaller - arguably the largest collaborative online phone directory. #-Link-Snipped-# reports that the hackers got access to about 7 databases viz: truecaller_ugc(459GB), truecaller (100GB),truecaller_profiles( 4GB), truecaller_api(123KB), truecaller_PushMe(2.2KB), tc_admin(7MB), tc_www😔70MB) - See more at: #-Link-Snipped-#. The main database is ~460 GB in size and that means the hackers have access to a really large number records. We'd however confirm from the officials.

truecaller​

The hackers seem to have obtained more than a million Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Gmail accounts which will allow the hackers to post to the hacked accounts, reports eHackingnews. It's also being learned that the outdated WordPress version running on the site allowed the hackers to get access to the admin panel.

I'm tagging Alan Mamedi ( #-Link-Snipped-# ), CEO of Truecaller to tell us more about the hack and what really went wrong? We'd also be interested in knowing how's Truecaller addressing the issue at present.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: After reading several websites, it appears that the website indeed was hacked. The hackers got access to some crucial data (it seems). Waiting for Alan to confirm it.

It's better to unlist your number from TrueCaller database. I think.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its a alarming news that should be spreaded to all and all should have awareness on their accounts present status.
    Trucaller should address the news immedietly
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Really shocked How come such a big database compromise in stuff like Data security

Hope no Secure files are lost and wish things are back to normal soon

But if these servers are hacked so frequently Why should another nation spend millions in trying to steal data from our country.

They can themselves employ hackers right
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    It is unclear whether the phonebook database containing names, numbers and other contact details of non-users was accessible to hackers or not. That is the kind of information that they should find out immediately.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Just saw their tweets, they have openly mentioned host name, username , password of their database and have even tweeted screenshot of their database

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung India is all set to launch the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 series tablets in the Indian market starting today. It was more than a couple of months back that...
The campus placements season will start in the next few weeks and I hope all the CEans who're eligible for campus placements; the ones who are in third / final...
Listed below is the difference between 2-Stroke and 4-stroke engines: In case of two stroke engine, rotation of crank shaft will be power stroke for every one rotation. During compression...
I'm wondering how much does personal branding matter on the Internet these days? I'm sure you must have searched your own name in Google and eventually found that the only...
The question is simple - we have seen single stroke (?), 2-stroke, 4-stroke, 6-stroke engines and my curious mind is enquiring what is the maximum number of stroke any engine...