Traveling To Antarctica? 'Yeti' Robot Will Be Your Guide

Traveling to Antarctica would definitely be a fun filled adventure provide you have a guide who can guide you through proper paths. The nice and smooth looking snow may have several meters deep crevasses and if you get trapped in one - there's no way out. This very issue slows down the general movement in Antarctica. To overcome this challenge, engineers from Dartmouth developed a guide robot, called 'Yeti'.
slide
Yet's been around for quite some time now but the creates of it have just published a paper on it in Journal Of Field Robotics. The main aim of the research paper is to show that Yeti can make a huge difference to the logistics in Antarctica.

Yeti is equipped with sensors that can detect dangerous crevasses and find an alternate path. Yeti saves about $2 million every year. Yeti has proven to be a very cost effective solution, given it costs only $25k.

Yeti's not only effective in snow; but its technology has already been proven very useful in terrain surveys to detect underground rivers and buried buildings and objects.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Kickstarter is an amazing initiative. It lets anyone post information about their project in front of people who can then decide to fund you with any amount. If people like...
hi friends i just came to know about roundone.in , which is a site for job opportunities through paid referral. does anyone know bout this? can i give a try?...
1) why breakdown voltage decreases with increase in doping level, what actually happens when diode is heavily doped. Why zener breakdown is less than avalanche breakdown.
Flipkart's no longer a discount heaven and the company has slowly increasing prices of the services. One major increase in recent times seems to be the minimum order value that'd...
I brought a 200 rpm gear motor for my pick and place robot but I can't control it. Can I reduce its rpm to 60???? Please help.. .....