Torque Lost to Torsion???

So I'm a mining engineer working in a role where half of what I do is mechanical in nature.

A discussion came up the other day where someone mentioned that torque is lost to torsion in a steel shaft, and I'm pretty sure that's false.

Picture a steel shaft 400m in length and 500mm in diameter. When you apply torque on one end (with the other end secured), the shaft "twists"..

Someone here is claiming you will lose torque to that torsion.

IE: the torque on the other end will be lower because it's "lost" to torsion throughout.

Can't seem to be right to me!?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    That is exactly what happens with a spring. It is just a long wire with one end fixed and the other end twisted when the spring is extended. Within elastic limits no energy is lost. Once the applied torque is released the spring goes back to the unstressed state releasing all the energy.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sterlingz
    Sterlingz
    A.V.Ramani
    That is exactly what happens with a spring. It is just a long wire with one end fixed and the other end twisted when the spring is extended. Within elastic limits no energy is lost. Once the applied torque is released the spring goes back to the unstressed state releasing all the energy.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Right, so if you apply torque T on one end, there will always be an equal corresponding torque T on the other end?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Sterlingz
    Right, so if you apply torque T on one end, there will always be an equal corresponding torque T on the other end?
    Under steady state, yes. However, if one end is fixed and a torque is applied at the other end, initially the shaft will see a gradually increasing twist. Depending on the stiffness after a time the torque will stabilize and the same torque will e felt at the fixed end.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

outportb(port1+1,0x00); outportb(port1+3,0x80); outportb(port1+2,0x0B); outportb(port1+0,0x60); can somebody please explain what these instructios mean in c language ..
Apart from the smartphone launches, the Mobile World Congress is also a platform for companies to show off their new connected devices. Oral-B took to the floors at MWC yesterday...
A group of electrical engineers from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology in Saudi Arabia has designed a sensor circuitry that can imitate the functions of the human...
A team of chemists and engineers from the University of Texas, Arlington have finally come up with a one step process to directly convert Carbon dioxide and water into liquid...
CAN U PLEASE GIVE INFORMATION ABOUT THE COMPANIES WHICH OFFERING IN PLANT TRAINING IN MECHANICAL AND ROBOTICS STREAM?