Today's scientific question

When we rotate a burning stick in total darkness Why a image of a oval or a spherical shape forms in front of our eyes?

Replies

• Vega
    Vega
    It won't happen if you rotate it little slowly. The principle behind this phenomenon is that any image formed on ratina is retained on it for 1/6 th of a second. If a new image is received in less than 1/6th of a second, then these 2 images kind of mix in each other. This principle is used in motion pictures or films to cause an illusion of motion using series of pictures moved in front of eyes at fast speed.

--Vega
  • kunaljd
    kunaljd
    it is called as persistence of vision
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tip: Instead of naming the thread 'Today's scientific question', please put the question itself in the thread.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Many of my friends generally confused whether to choose Fat or Ntfs. ...while installing windows so through this thread i will try to esplain when to choose Fat and Ntfs?...
hi guys i'm really in neeeed of ideas for my project. i'm in my final sem in mechanical engg. and i've no clue wat to do for my projects. Basically...
Hello to all aspiring engineers.. I am Aman Farooqui, a student of Mechanical Engineering, Prefinal Year in Bhilai, India Irrespect of my branch mechanical, i have more interest in aerospace...
I am Instrumentation Engineer with a requirement of Best project with a Lab-view Platform on image processing. Please provide me sufficient details of Projects.
Hello friends this is aman... i saw an old episode of planet mechanics, national geographic channel they made a moped which runs on the compressed air. i have searched on...