To The Mars Via Moon - MIT Study

Humans want to set foot on Mars and getting their is not at all easy. One of the biggest challenges in getting to the Mars is the distance between Earth and Mars, which is minimum 54.6 million kilometers. Carrying humans and other payload to the Mars requires that the spaceships carry enough fuel; currently for the return journey as well. However a new MIT study proposes that the spacecrafts may consider a temporary halt on the moon to refuel and reduce the overall fuel requirements at the time of launch from Earth by as much as 68%.

The study finds out that the lunar soil and water ice present in certain craters of the moon can be used to create fuel. Of course, it assumes that such technologies will have to be developed before humans are all set to land on the Mars.

Mars-Via-Moon-MIT

The study found out that the optimal way to launch a mission to the Mars is from Earth. The mission will first have to visit Moon. The fuel tanks will then be launched into space from the surface of the moon and will have to be caught by the Martian crew.

Prof. Olivier de Weck of the aeronautics and astronautics engineering systems at MIT says that this plan is very unconventional to that of NASA. Typical NASA missions focus on a direct 'carry-along' route, that is, carry everything you need with you right at the time of launch.

Check out further information on the source link below and let us know your thoughts on this strategy of space exploration.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Every electrical and electronics engineer loves to play with electromagnets. I remember I had created a small electromagnet myself using the AA batteries and a copper wire; and was astonished...
How to register for the preliminary exam of IES 2016 ??
Quote: One Norwegian start-up is developing a technology to wage a frontline battle with desertification. Desert Control is a Norwegian company set up by Kristian and Ole Morten Olesen, alongside...
Micromax has decided in invest in Gaana.com - one of the top music streaming and broadcasting services in India. The details of the investment were not disclosed but the new...
I found a cool way to turn off Mac's display without putting the computer in sleep mode. Sometimes, I just want my Mac to keep playing music while I'm away...