Thoughts On ‘Morning Walk’

Thoughts On ‘Morning Walk’

Thought of this while driving back home & listening to music 😁 . Think about it-

Doctors have advised ‘Morning Walk’ to patients and even to healthy people. Reason: You get to breathe fresh air (full of oxygen & Ozone ?? :roll: ). I think there’s a basic flaw in this reasoning.

Think about photosynthesis. It is a process by which plants (and bacteria) trap the light energy and convert it into usable chemical energy while liberating oxygen. Now remember that a reverse process takes place at night in which Carbon-Dioxide is liberated. This is same as respiration process.

Now in early morning, air should be filled with lots of Carbon-dioxide. Effectively, if we go on morning walk we are inhaling air with high Carbon-dioxide content. Well, I hope you got my point.

Comments please 😁

Replies

• PoliBr
    PoliBr
    You have a good point, but there are a few things yet to consider:

The_Big_K
    Reason: You get to breathe fresh air (full of oxygen & Ozone ?? :roll:
    If the air is indeed full of Ozone, we are all screwed!!! Because it is a "highly corrosive, poisonous substance and a common pollutant" (wikipedia)., and what is worst, even Oxigen can be harmfull (but only at elevated concentrations).

So if that is really true, the quote, Doctors gave us the wrong advise, hence instead of a ‘Morning Walk’, maybe is healthier to have a ‘Morning Sleep’ or a ‘Morning Couch-TV’...hehe
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The_Big_K
    Reason: You get to breathe fresh air (full of oxygen & Ozone ?? :roll:
    Hey Poli, I know Ozone is not good for health. I also heard that any living thing will die when exposed to purest form oxygen in excess (well, 'heard', not 100% sure).

There's a reason behind doctors' advice. First, you get all benefits of 'walk-the exercise'. Second, pollution level in the morning is bit low. Maybe its the low noise level in the morning combined with the cool air which does all the magic 😁 and we continue to think we had a fresh dose of O2.

say what? 😉

-The Big K-
  • manavkt
    manavkt
    well!
    morning air is not that clean. As told by one of my professor of environmental sciences, assuming that i heard it right considering the fact that i sleep like dog in lectures 😁, due to lower ambient temperatures the harmful gases like NOx, COx and particulate matter are present in the lower strata of the atmosphere and therefore the very notion of morning walks is the gimmicks doctors use to hold onto their patients 😛

manav
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lol ! it would not be right to call it a gimmick. But at least people give up their lazyness and get up in the morning 😉

Let the comments flood in ! 😀

-The Big K-
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Now that we have a good bunch of CEans, I'd like to bring this old thread to life.

Anyone wants to comment?

-The Big K-
  • Nickhouse
    Nickhouse
    Sorry I thought it was a typo and you really meant "morning wank" which I believe is good for the curculation.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Baba Ramdeo Ki Jai...

No offence..😁

That was with no purpose of Hindi..

Yoga...

--Crazy
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    You have already offended CE rule Mr. Crazyboy.

First of all you are using Hindi which is not allowed.
    Second, you are making a mockery of a very senior and accomplished person
    Third, your post neither adds value nor makes any sense.

Please keep some basic things in mind. "We are not orkut and this is not a scrapbook"

Dont make me repeat this again.

Take care.
  • Romeos_person
    Romeos_person
    Back to the topic at hand...

I think it is psychology rather than science. I suspect that they recommend morning walks because if you wait to do it at night, life happens, we get busy and it doesn't happen at all. Plus, I'm sure that the cool morning air (especially here) is invigorating. I wouldn't know, I walk at night.

As for the quality of the air, I suspect the answer would be regional. For example, in the winter, there are fewer active plants. Temperature inversions may hold pollutants, etc closer to the ground.

Wickpedia states, "In meteorology, an inversion is a deviation from the normal change of an atmospheric property with altitude. It almost always refers to a temperature inversion, i.e., an increase in temperature with height, or to the layer within which such an increase occurs. #-Link-Snipped-#
    An inversion can lead to pollution such as Smog - Wikipedia being trapped close to the ground, with possible adverse effects on health."

Prevailing winds may take the pollutants away or bring them in depending on the winds and your location. Perhaps there is a stray meteorologist around who has some input?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Firstly, the Ozone layer is not in the breathable atmosphere, so in that sense, you can rule out breathing in ozone.

Secondly, and more importantly, a morning walk is a good cardiovascular exercise. Plus, the CO2 thats released by the plants in the night is already diffused (whatever miniscule amounts they must have released). And believe me, what with the lack of trees these days, I dont think the CO2 released by plants is the real cause of worry 😀.

So, the doctors are true to their word!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let's dedicate this place to Puzzle Busters! The CE Genius Team 8) Note# Google / Yahoo / MSN is banned for the team here. Use only brainz , no internet!...
Posted By 'Sam' - Starting a New Thread for this Case Study You are driving a Merc and on a red light - some crazy kid tries to overtake you...
hi "K" can we start threads related to GRE, MBA, GMAT and all related stuffs... Engineers needs that stuff when the are newbie in industry...and a major part of this...
Hi All ! I've been working on setting up new system for CrazyEngineers.com . I'm glad to announce that the new system has now been tested for data/user migration. We'll...
Directed by: Steven Spielberg Starring: Eric Bana, Daniel Craig, Geoffrey Rush and Michael Lonsdale I am not going to dance around the issue. “Munich” is by far, the best movie...