The types of turbines.

Turbines as we all know are prime movers, converting fluid energy to mechanical energy.

but to most of us college-going CEans , this may sound abstract, because we don't deal with turbines, as much as we deal with I.C engines, and most of us aren't aware of its sub-components., or its classifications.

talking of classifications, here is a list of it :

wind turbines : these are the huge three-bladed machines we see on open lands. wind energy, forms the working fluid, which rotates the blades.

gas turbines : these are turbines enclosed in casings and the working fluid is compressed and combusted air, with high temperature and pressure. they are used in power plants, jet engines as well as in automobiles (as turbo chargers).

steam turbines : these are the ones used in thermal power plants, where the working fluid is steam.

hydraulic turbines : they use for working fluid, water with high pressure head. they are used in hydel power plants.

so then, any additions or corrections to be made to this ?

Replies

• Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    there are also air turbines that float and wave energy turbines that are run by sea currents.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Amith Gupta
    there are also air turbines that float and wave energy turbines that are run by sea currents.
    tell more about them.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    A prime mover is any arrangement which will rotate the shaft of alternator.It can be IC engines also (used in domestic diesel generators ),an induction motor and turbines.
  • Saugata
    Saugata
    There are vertical axis wind turbines of pico wheel type and helix wound type.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

well the title says it all
What exactly are patents. all that i know is that it is a copyright of intellectual property. but then can anyone tell me in detail, as to how they work...
The annual Knovel "University Challenge" (for 2012) has begun. There are weekly challenges with attractive prizes. Contest runs from September 10th to December 1st. https://www.knoveluniversitychalleng...ng%20Tools%20and%20Dynamic%20Content%20Inside
What differentiates an engineer from a scientist? Both study the same principles. Often the same text books. The former is hands on, off the cuff, quick check kind of person....
Hi guys,i am in my 2nd year B.Tech..i would like to know if it is preferable for me to join CAT classes from next year or it would be wise...