suggestions for suitable microcontroller for robot arm.

hello engineers.Iam currently doing a project on robot arm that involves five degree of freedom.actually iam using stepper motor as actuator..so please suggest me suitable microcontroller for my project..torque capacity=50 to 100..this depends on the pay load of the end effector.so suggestions r welcomed..

Replies

• piyushh
    piyushh
    hey simple use any mc..like atmega 8,16 or 32....or of atmel series...for moving arm at different degrees u need to program it ..n as far as touque is consider..i guess it totally depends upon your actuator capacity..i guess..ya
  • msmuthu3
    msmuthu3
    thank you piyuush..can u please quote me reference sites or books ...because iam kinda new to this microcontrollers...
  • piyushh
    piyushh
    anytime buddy..most welcome

ya sure..for basics of microcontroller...read
    1. the 8051 microcontroller, by Ayala Kenneth
    2.TMH Microcontroller , by A. V. Deshmukh
    3.microcontroller by, V. Udayashankara and M. S. Mallikarjunaswamy

2nd one is the nice book..though the other 2 are also good...but i think for begineer 2nd 1 will be helpful n good.i.e mc by AV Deshmukh..i hav the link for this ebook [Microcontrollers: Theory and Applications - Ajay V Deshmukh - Google BooksMicrocontrollers: Theory and Applications - Ajay V Deshmukh - Google BooksMicrocontrollers: Theory and Applications - Ajay V Deshmukh - Google Books

try..this..
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    At Student level ATMEGA16 is best and torque is depend on your motor not on controller i think so.
  • Codex Guides
    Codex Guides
    Virtually any microcontroller should be able to handle this project. If you have a special requirement, like lots of ADC or DAC, or something, you'll have to specify.

Microchip and Atmel both have a wide lineup that will allow you to switch easily if your chosen chip doesn't work for some reason.

TI MSP430 has good analog and LCD support, neither of which you need, but it is still a good platform overall, just with fewer devices.

Renesas is popular in Europe but not in North America - their peripheral sets tend to be weird, and it's not as easy to move around from chip to chip. Support may be good in your area, or may not be.

If you'd like to go for a more sophisticated solution right off the top, try the ARM7 cores from Atmel and NXP (SAM7S and LPC2000 families). These have a lot of great stuff on them. Power consumption and analog support is not quite as good as their 16-bit cousins, but it's damn close, and I don't think you care anyway. ARM7s cost around $3 $USD in any kind of decent quantity.

Get a flash chip, stay away from one-time programmable (OTP) devices, and devices that need external memory. Also, I'd stay pretty basic unless you need special stuff for operating your arm - you don't need a Blackfin or Cortex-M3 device for this!

Also look at how much it costs for the development kits. Most 16-bit uC have $99 programming kits available now, but perhaps not all.

- CG
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi all, Does anyone have experience in solving 6 variable K map? I tried in a software. But, although i was able to input 6 variable data, still not getting...
Hi guys! Can any one give me a brief description about Mobile Computing? What is the use of it? And what are the advantages of it?
in bluetooth technology,frequency is changed 1600 times/second(for security reason).Why this much hoping is done where we can secure data with only 10 or 15 hopes/second.any genuine reason for so much...
hi all, I am trying to simulate something in matlab. Problem: 66kv line coming to the local substation of a company. From there, through different stepdown transformers, finally from a...
I am new here! Nice to see all of you!! I need all your advice if i post some question here! Thanks!!!๐Ÿ˜