Submarine telecommunications cable data transfer capacities

Was reading about the i2i cable which runs 3200 km from Chennai to Singapore, owned by Airtel and will be shared by Reliance Jio. What astonished me was that the total data transfer capacity of the cable is about 8.4 Tbit per second. What allows such cables to have so big data carrying capacities? Special fibers? Or what?

Replies

• Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    The capacity of each cable depends on the planners and the company that owns the cable.If more amount of data is hoped to carry,then greater amounts of fiber is laid.Actually it depends on when they were laid,advancements in the type of cable,technology used in the amplifiers and other components installed along the path of the cable before it is laid into the ocean bed.

Such high data rates are possible because they use DWDM (Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing ).Not all the cables supports such high rates.Theoretically since these i2i cables supports very high capacity,they are used.

For more details on DWDM here's a link #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    One more thing mate. Such high speeds are delivered by cable clusters made by combining more than 8 optical cables in a single bundle,

One optical cable can't be used as a stand alone link between the two ports.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here is the new innovation in the civil engineering technology. The Tower Infinity (An Invisible tower), it is proposed by GDS Architect to south korea. This is the world first...
my book, looking for a paper publisher for now half of it is online, lots to discuss, most recently, these designs to radically improve helicopter stability https://www.flight-light-and-spin.com/principle-of-flight.htm
LG, the Korean global tech giant has announced that its two curved screen gadgets - The LG Curved OLED TV and the LG G-Flex smartphone have been launched in India....
A newly discovered greenhouse gas perfluorotributylamine (PFTBA) is 7100 times more powerful as compared to carbon dioxide, and has a higher impact on global warming. The gas, recently discovered by...
Quote: Everybody loves fun facts. But sometimes these little nuggets of trivia can be more fun than they are fact. And sometimes, they're outright lies. Like these! Today we have...