speed & gravity

we know that any object which is thrown with a speed of 11.2kmps or greater can overcome the earth's gravitational pull and enters the space....is there any method or any means so far that we can send an object like this??

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Not vertically But by using increased elliptical path the angular acceleration can be made to exceed earth's gravity and go into outer space

PS: check out Mission MARS by NASA that is a good example of this phenomenon
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    oh ya elliptical paths...i think thats how satellite launching takes place..i have another doubt here..a satellite is taken to its orbit by 2 methods..that is first it is taken to one elliptical then to its circular...positioning the satellite is understandable...but how come the satellite revolves with such a high speed (in case of geostationary satellite it is approximately 3070mps) since the second of its launching??
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    There is a slight misconception here at the moment of launch the acceleration is higher not the velocity. But as the altitude increases this acceleration is reduced and finally the vertical acceleration component reduces and becomes to 0 Whereas the angular acceleration is 0 in the initial stages and once in orbit the angular acceleration becomes maximum and holds the satellite there in a fixed altitude but it revolves with higher velocity around the earth

But do note that once the desired orbit is attained the angular acceleration also becomes constant preventing the satellite from moving away from the earth.

The end result is all the acceleration terms become almost 0 and only the angular velocity is maintained by the satellite cos of the earth's gravity this keeps the satellite in its place
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Actually what happens is this. The satellite in continuously falling to the earth. However the angular velocity of the satellite is such that the earth curves away under the satellite at the same speed, ineffect maintaining the distance to the earth's surface constant.
    It therefore remains in a stable orbit. In a geostationary orbit the earth's own rotation speed matches the angular velocity of the satellite so that it is apparently stationary above the earth.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So,suddenly my PC stopped working.I tried to reboot & it freezed at boot screen. What I did ? - Removed RAM & remounted it. Result : Fail. - Removed Harddisk...
Can a mobile phone be affected by virus?I transferred songs from a virus affected laptop.but the song files are virus free.the laptop had virus in some other files and not...
I came to know that

tag doesn't only adjusts the size of the text within it, but also nominates the text for search engines,i.e text written within header tag...

Infosys has been nominated to work on the Indian government's MCA-21 e-Governance project. The overall worth of the project is about Rs. 357.81 crore. The project is believed to be...
how to download java development kit latest version on my laptop having 32-bit windows 7 configuration ? also help me with downloading of SQL server .PLEASE DO HELP for heaven's...