Soil Mech Prob_lets Solve it!!!

Let's solve this Civil CEans!!!😀

In times of high water in the rivers in The Netherlands, when the water table rises practically to the crest of the dikes, local authorities
sometimes put sand bags on top of the dike. Is that useful?

Another measure to prevent failure of a dike during high floods, is to place large sheets of plastic on the slope of the dike. On which side?

Will the horizontal stress in the soil mass near a deep river be relatively large or small?

The soil at the bottom of the North Sea is often much stiffer in the Northern parts (near Norway) than it is in the Southern parts (near
London). What can be the cause?

A possible explanation of the leaning of the Pisa tower is that the subsoil contains a compressible
clay layer of variable thickness. On what side of the tower would that clay layer be thickest?

Another explanation for the leaning of the Pisa tower is that in earlier ages (before the start of the
building of the tower, in 1400) a heavy structure stood near that location. On which side of the tower would that
building have been?

In many cities of the world leaning towers may be found, though nowhere so spectacular as in Pisa.
An example is shown in Figure of the tower of the Old Church of Delft, along the canal Oude Delft. Can you
imagine what is the probable cause in this case, and can you suggest a simple technical solution to prevent further leaning?
[​IMG]

Replies

• Ashwetha
    Ashwetha
    I think the clay wil be thick on the leaning
    side bcoz greater the thickness greater the
    consolidation occurs.Correct if i am wrong.
  • Ashwetha
    Ashwetha
    May be the foundation got weak as the church was built on canal bed.
    What are the right answers?
  • Ashwetha
    Ashwetha
    I think Horizontal stress in the soil mass near a deep river be relatively large bcoz of the

high pore water pressure.Pls correct if i am wrong
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    interesting!!! 😁 let me try it.

In times of high water in the rivers in The Netherlands, when the water table rises practically to the crest of the dikes, local authorities
    sometimes put sand bags on top of the dike. Is that useful?

to some extent yes. in addition to reinforcing the dyke it also takes care of the seepage of water.

Another measure to prevent failure of a dike during high floods, is to place large sheets of plastic on the slope of the dike. On which side?
    in the side of water?

Will the horizontal stress in the soil mass near a deep river be relatively large or small?
    large...

The soil at the bottom of the North Sea is often much stiffer in the Northern parts (near Norway) than it is in the Southern parts (near
    London). What can be the cause?

dunno. 😔

A possible explanation of the leaning of the Pisa tower is that the subsoil contains a compressible
    clay layer of variable thickness. On what side of the tower would that clay layer be thickest?

in the side towards which the tower leans?

Another explanation for the leaning of the Pisa tower is that in earlier ages (before the start of the
    building of the tower, in 1400) a heavy structure stood near that location. On which side of the tower would that
    building have been?

away from the lean of the tower?

In many cities of the world leaning towers may be found, though nowhere so spectacular as in Pisa.
    An example is shown in Figure of the tower of the Old Church of Delft, along the canal Oude Delft. Can you
    imagine what is the probable cause in this case, and can you suggest a simple technical solution to prevent further leaning?

i think the leaning could be due to the canal nearby. maybe the water from the canal flowed into the ground thus making the soil loose...
    i'm just guessing this... maybe we could build a deep retaining wall that would prevent water flow till the foundation level... or we could dig holes and lay porous pipes where this water can get collected.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please tell some final yr project ideas.......................... preferably in biometrics............😔
can someone pleaase answer what does .class mean in java.....What does it return...and which function it triggers?? Can we override that function.... Please answer m not getting an appropriate answer...
I need avctivation key for microsoft office 2010 professional plus. PLEASE help me.
can you please tell me the code to interface a mobile phone with a microcontroller.. i need to send and recieve a sms usin pic 16F877A.. please tell me the...