Software- Development Vs Testing

hey Ceans,
Am in final year of my engineering now and planning to do some certifications...
Can someone tell me abt it...Does Software testing provide good growth in IT or Software development?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Assuming that by Good Growth, you're referring to good salary & promotions - you're good to go with Software Testing & Software Development. But first make sure that you're aware of the kind of work you'll be doing as a quality engineer vs. a development engineer.

Do you have any idea how these two lines of engineering differ?
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    Both testing and development having good scope these days and in my point of view one should not look after salary and benefits. Just take a decision by thinking that "in which field i can do better?". Development is always a challenging career and testing requires more theoretical knowledge.
  • manubhat
    manubhat
    @Big_K: As far as my knowledge is concerned,testing is done after a product is developed to ensure that it meets all the quality requirements and is free from any kind of bugs... So there is nothing to test without development....
    Am more tilted towards development right now,since my interest lies in Java.. but am a noob about what it actually is the real corporate world..so waiting for all the CEans to comment....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    manubhat
    @Big_K: As far as my knowledge is concerned,testing is done after a product is developed to ensure that it meets all the quality requirements and is free from any kind of bugs... So there is nothing to test without development....
    That's not correct. Testing usually begins even before software is developed. It begins right at the stage when the requirements are gathered and business decisions are made. There are lot of misconceptions about software testing. You'll have to read a bit about software testing before you make your decision.

manubhat
    Am more tilted towards development right now,since my interest lies in Java.. but am a noob about what it actually is the real corporate world..so waiting for all the CEans to comment....
    If you've made up your mind to go with Java - then that's good. Usually all the companies will conduct a training program to train you on various technologies and tools required by the ongoing projects in companies. Don't worry too much about it right now. Just make sure that you're excellent in Java (or whatever domain you choose) and you'll be happy.
  • manubhat
    manubhat
    Thanks for the information Big_K..
    Java has been my favorite since the day i started learning it.. 😀
    Does testing involve any Programming or is it just theoretical?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    manubhat
    Thanks for the information Big_K..
    Java has been my favorite since the day i started learning it.. 😀
    Does testing involve any Programming or is it just theoretical?
    Well, frankly speaking testing implements Java, Python, C, C++, vB, Ruby and so on. It entirely depends on what you're planning to test and how. Plus there are several interesting tools that are frequently used in Software Testing. Our mod English-Scared is a professional software testing engineer. He's currently on a sabbatical.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone help me in using the standard toolbox.. -panel (how is this used?.. for what purpose?)
Sir i am a b tech 3rd year student. I want to do my mini project.Could you please give me ideas for my project using electronics circuits,ICs 555,741 etc
Lodha Builders are building what's soon going to be the world's second tallest residential tower in the world. The project is called "World One Tower" and is being constructed at...
BBG Combo ULD 1350 - the unlimited, the BSNL plan for unlimited Internet download plan without the 'fair usage policy' has just got better. According to the revised plan that...