Samsung Tizen Will Be Big Blow To Android (& Google) - Agree / Disagree?

In the last 2-3 years, Samsung's emerged as one of the biggest 'seller' of Android, because all the company's flagship phones have been powered by Android operating system from Google. With every device sold by Samsung, Google keeps making profit through their Play Store. With Samsung going gung-ho with their own operating system called Tizen (backed by Intel as well), Samsung is rumored to be planning to ditch Android and make Tizen the next coolest operating system for both developers and consumers. If Samsung does this well; it could prove to be a huge blow to overall Android adoption and make a dent in Google's profits.

It's important to note that Samsung owns most of your home's gadgets. The company has electronic products for almost every room in your house. With all the devices getting smarter; Samsung's own operating system would be hard to ignore - because Tizen itself hasn't been developed with only mobile phones or tablets in mind. It's being developed to ensure that the OS will run on variety of gadgets.

Samsung was one of the biggest hardware seller, responsible for Android getting a huge market share in a relatively shorter period of time. If all of that goes the Tizen way; Android will find it difficult to survive.

For Samsung, they'll have their direct fight with Apple which totally owns their overall software and hardware.

With all of that said, do you agree that Tizen will be a big blow to Android?

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In the last 2-3 years, Samsung's emerged as one of the biggest 'seller' of Android, because all the company's flagship phones have been powered by Android operating system from Google. With every device sold by Samsung, Google keeps making profit through their Play Store. With Samsung going gung-ho with their own operating system called Tizen (backed by Intel as well), Samsung is rumored to be planning to ditch Android and make Tizen the next coolest operating system for both developers and consumers. If Samsung does this well; it could prove to be a huge blow to overall Android adoption and make a dent in Google's profits.

It's important to note that Samsung owns most of your home's gadgets. The company has electronic products for almost every room in your house. With all the devices getting smarter; Samsung's own operating system would be hard to ignore - because Tizen itself hasn't been developed with only mobile phones or tablets in mind. It's being developed to ensure that the OS will run on variety of gadgets.

Samsung was one of the biggest hardware seller, responsible for Android getting a huge market share in a relatively shorter period of time. If all of that goes the Tizen way; Android will find it difficult to survive.

For Samsung, they'll have their direct fight with Apple which totally owns their overall software and hardware.

With all of that said, do you agree that Tizen will be a big blow to Android?
    Samsung sure does have some cool stuff coming up their sleeves. It's all too early to comment.

The next 2 to 3 years could be really challenging for any product manufacturer or even for a consumer. Technology keeps changing too quickly that you are often left with fewer choices but upgrade.

If Samsung does manage to integrate the smartness into your washing machines, microwave ovens, refrigerators, and other devices, then definitely they will have a upper hand in the market. Who wouldn't want to do their washing by sending a message to your washing machine while sitting at the office? But another important point you've to notice is that Samsung has been working in the robotics industry for quite some years as well and is easily a easier option when it comes to synchronizing robots with home appliances; this is in fact a threat to Apple - so see #-Link-Snipped-# (Apple’s $10.5B on Robots to Lasers Shores Up Supply Chain)what Apple has tried to do!!!

The future sure gets exciting! 😁

Also check #-Link-Snipped-# (Apple's plans for 2014: robots, advanced manufacturing processes and more)

As far as Google's Android is concerned, it's not that 'SAFE' and is more 'OPEN-SOURCE' to handle these vast home applications. Issues of security also arises with certain devices such as the central lock system of the house, etc. And Google is no where near to getting their hands on home appliances. I mean, why would a washing machine need internet to get information? All it needs is a smart brain!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just commenting to say, good post, @#-Link-Snipped-#!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    anoopthefriend
    As far as Google's Android is concerned, it's not that 'SAFE' and is more 'OPEN-SOURCE' to handle these vast home applications. Issues of security also arises with certain devices such as the central lock system of the house, etc.
    I would like to add something here,
    You know, most almost each & every home appliances uses Opensource software ? There is one wrong belief (or say lack of awareness) among people, that just because it's 'OpenSource' and everyone can gitclone it's codes, it is not secure. Opensource is about 'Freedom' & having control on your tools, what that really mean is; If you buy a product with any Opensource tools in it, you can customize it with your own codes, which gives you more control on your tools, which means more secure! (No surprise why most servers uses Opensource applications)
    Now, if you buy Apple's Central Lock System (Just an example), since it's closed-source, you won't be able to add your own codes & won't even know what's inside the codes, maybe a backdoor by NSA ? While in Opensource, if there's any backdoor, it will be easily caught, as entire world can ponder on it's codes.
    'Opensource' is more about Freedom (as in freedom to do anything with the software: like removing stuffs you don't want, adding your own excryption codes, adding your own security apps,etc.) & innovation, but it's philosophy is 'Do It Yourself'.

anoopthefriend
    I mean, why would a washing machine need internet to get information?
    It totally depends upon the level of smartness! If I am in home & I want to control washing machine without touching it, I can do it without internet.
    But assume, you're in office (far far away) & you have already filled the bucket of washing machine with cloth & you want it in such a way that when you come home your clothes are washed & drained, how will you do it ? You'll need internet access to communicate with WM, right ? You can use other ways too like : SMS, calls,etc. to make same thing work, but with internet you can get updates of each & every moment in your device, which SMS & call method won't be able to give.
    What I mean is, using internet as medium doesn't mean it steals your personal information.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would like to add something here,
    You know, most almost each & every home appliances uses Opensource software ? There is one wrong belief (or say lack of awareness) among people, that just because it's 'OpenSource' and everyone can gitclone it's codes, it is not secure. Opensource is about 'Freedom' & having control on your tools, what that really mean is; If you buy a product with any Opensource tools in it, you can customize it with your own codes, which gives you more control on your tools, which means more secure! (No surprise why most servers uses Opensource applications)
    Now, if you buy Apple's Central Lock System (Just an example), since it's closed-source, you won't be able to add your own codes & won't even know what's inside the codes, maybe a backdoor by NSA ? While in Opensource, if there's any backdoor, it will be easily caught, as entire world can ponder on it's codes.
    'Opensource' is more about Freedom (as in freedom to do anything with the software: like removing stuffs you don't want, adding your own excryption codes, adding your own security apps,etc.) & innovation, but it's philosophy is 'Do It Yourself'.

It totally depends upon the level of smartness! If I am in home & I want to control washing machine without touching it, I can do it without internet.
    But assume, you're in office (far far away) & you have already filled the bucket of washing machine with cloth & you want it in such a way that when you come home your clothes are washed & drained, how will you do it ? You'll need internet access to communicate with WM, right ? You can use other ways too like : SMS, calls,etc. to make same thing work, but with internet you can get updates of each & every moment in your device, which SMS & call method won't be able to give.
    What I mean is, using internet as medium doesn't mean it steals your personal information.
    Well you're probably right about opensource being 'open-source' and ultra-customizable. But think again! We're 'NOT' talking about a bunch of 'nerds' or 'engineers' doing household chores here. If that was the case then everyone on earth would need to learn coding! Does everyone you know 'actually' root their smartphones?

Eg: Say - why do banks have a unique method of protecting customer data? What would have happened if your ATM card or bank account was customizable? Think about it!

You wouldn't want your washing machine to do your neighbours laundry would you? I would rather have one 'system' that works rather than tweak up the entire circuit on my own - unless I was a developer. So let's just stick to the common folks here. Kids for starters!

What I meant for washing machine needing internet for information was that it doesn't need to 'browse' for info. We need a medium sized 'customized' and 'specified' robotic brain with artificial intelligence and a 'secure' static internet connection or any other wired or wireless secure medium to communicate. We don't have to 'overkill' these brains.

P.S.: One cool fact however is that if opensource tested and proved consumer versions of these softwares are available, (you know) with accessibility to multiple platform devices - then people could make use of it. However I doubt if the larger masses (other than developers, geeks or tech-savvy people) would even care!!!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    anoopthefriend
    Well you're probably right about opensource being 'open-source' and ultra-customizable. But think again! We're 'NOT' talking about a bunch of 'nerds' or 'engineers' doing household chores here. If that was the case then everyone on earth would need to learn coding! Does everyone you know 'actually' root their smartphones?
    That's the point! man! That is what I wanna say.
    Let the Opensource developers do the job(normal users will use what Opensource developers will develop, there's no need to learn coding for all users), we'll share to the world & let entire world use it for free (& if they are capable they'll customize it even more). Take for an example, Custom ROMS. Google developed Android which shipped in phones/tablets, and Opensource developers used source-code to tweak it for the normal users by adding features which they've developed, means more innovation! (have you wonder how Cyanogenmod turned into a company ?)
    What I mean is, normal users can download the files & follow the step given in tutorial to get custom one. I have seen here a 15 year old boy doing it, and I don't understand when it comes to rooting or flashing ROM, you guys tag it with 'nerd'.
    I know it is new thing, but it's not something like 'nerdy' at all.

anoopthefriend
    Eg: Say - why do banks have a unique method of protecting customer data? What would have happened if your ATM card or bank account was customizable? Think about it!
    And how is it related to Opensource ? I couldn't understand.
    Opensource means 'Opening' 'Source codes', not 'Opening' 'Personal datas'.
    BTW does your bank account & ATM cards, have source codes ? From which repository I can download it ? Does it have signed packages ? 😁

anoopthefriend
    We need a medium sized 'customized' and 'specified' robotic brain with artificial intelligence and a 'secure' static internet connection or any other wired or wireless secure medium to communicate. We don't have to 'overkill' these brains.
    What is 'secured' internet ? Drop N-bombs on PRISM & NSA, then we'll talk something about secure internet 😉
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Abhishek Rawal
    That's the point! man! That is what I wanna say.
    Let the Opensource developers do the job(normal users will use what Opensource developers will develop, there's no need to learn coding for all users), we'll share to the world & let entire world use it for free (& if they are capable they'll customize it even more). Take for an example, Custom ROMS. Google developed Android which shipped in phones/tablets, and Opensource developers used source-code to tweak it for the normal users by adding features which they've developed, means more innovation! (have you wonder how Cyanogenmod turned into a company ?)
    What I mean is, normal users can download the files & follow the step given in tutorial to get custom one. I have seen here a 15 year old boy doing it, and I don't understand when it comes to rooting or flashing ROM, you guys tag it with 'nerd'.
    I know it is new thing, but it's not something like 'nerdy' at all.

And how is it related to Opensource ? I couldn't understand.
    Opensource means 'Opening' 'Source codes', not 'Opening' 'Personal datas'.
    BTW does your bank account & ATM cards, have source codes ? From which repository I can download it ? Does it have signed packages ? 😁

What is 'secured' internet ? Drop N-bombs on PRISM & NSA, then we'll talk something about secure internet 😉
    Mate, I do agree on customizing with open source. But, do you think people will take all that risk (as in case of rooting smartphones)? Most people are 'normal' company product users - who use products just like how the company produces it. Even if they do customise, how many people would be willing? You can't expect all 15 year olds to be the same, nor all adults 'to be interested' or 'a little bit nerdy (in a good way)' about tech. The point is people who just use home appliances for the sake of comfortable lifestyle wouldn't care at all! They would just stick to non-brainy home appliances instead (if they feel the platform used in these devices can be tampered with). Be it an Open source or non open source platform, security is all that would matter.

What is the point of calling it 'Internet Banking' if Bank Accounts are not linked through internet which does have some codes to run? I'm not at a technical advantage here but do tell me how internet bank transfers happen through your smartphones, laptops or any other media? It involves networking and has a high possibility to mess around with unless secure. If I knew how my bank account was 'functioning', wouldn't/couldn't i be a possible threat? And I never meant it's related to open source. It's a secure channel atleast to the level I'm concerned is all that I meant. Hence I wouldn't mess with it.

Similarly is the central locking system of the house. Infact these gadgets of the future ought to be secure enough so that other 'hackers' or basically anyone with 'pun-intended tactics' would not be able to threaten you in your own home (if you are a normal product user). Imagine getting locked up in your own smarthouse with the hacker having access to all your home appliances and threatening to kill you with a stove!

However perfectly you think you have developed a platform, someone will always find a method to mess with it! And it's often the normal users who are victims of internet banking frauds, credit card frauds and many other occurances we've all heard in the news.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been experimenting with Twitter apps on Android, and have found that the latest official Twitter App available in Play Store seems to be the best option available out there....
So, Cygwin is not a full operating system and therefore it relies on Windows for accomplishing some tasks. For example, Cygwin provides a POSIX view of the Windows filesystem, but...
A friend told me - "Oh, so you haven't heard of Candy Crush game on Android yet? ..What world do you live in?" and out of sheer curiosity I installed...
This post is specially for the engineer geeks and nerds among us, who can see the humorous side of the people who call themselves engineers. Let us share our thoughts...
If your IT company does not assign you a project, you will be on-bench. This can be very risk for your career. Updated advice on how to deal with this situation.