Run application with full features without sudo command in ubuntu

Hello Friends,

I have just started working with Linux platform and I am using ubuntu.
I have installed application KCalc and if I run this application directly it runs with some limited features. If I need to access full features then I need to run this application from terminal by sudo command.

My question is that Is there any way so I can run this application directly with full features?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    You use sudo kcalc to switch modes right ?
    Why to use Kcalc, when Calculator is already available by default in Ubuntu ?
    1 โ€‹
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    BTW some information that might help you in future.

- Ubuntu is using Gnome shell, hence it is Gnome fork. Gnome is based on GTK+ toolkit ;While KDE is based on QT toolkit.
    (What is QT & GTK ? They are GUI toolkits, libraries that developers use to design GUI interface, which runs atop Xorg display server)
    Note : You might've noticed the difference in looks in Calculator that comes by default in Ubuntu (GTK based) & Kcalc (QT based,comes by default in KDE)

- From above you understood that Gnome uses GIMP toolkit (GTK+) while KDE uses (QT toolkit), Now Kcalc which you downloaded is written in QT, so when you download KDE apps in Gnome, it will work obviously (GTK apps works in QT too) but it pulls lot of dependencies with it, this won't break anything but it can consume lot of resource in background, eventually slowing down your computer, which you don't want.
    What I mean is, as long as application using GTK is available, there is no need in downloading QT based app. It's just waste of resources.

- Ubuntu have huge repository, it includes almost all DEs : KDE, Gnome, LXDE, XFCE, Mate,etc. so sometimes there are chance that you install a app which pull in entire DE into the system, eventually making your system a bloat. (Just think about an OS running with 4-5 DEs!)
    My suggestion is, use 'synaptic' it's wonderful tool, which will help you to keep an eye on dependencies too while installing it.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    You use sudo kcalc to switch modes right ?
    Why to use Kcalc, when Calculator is already available by default in Ubuntu ?
    1โ€‹
    Agree but that default calculator is also running with less features. There are no option for mode change.
    Have a look at this.
    Screenshot from 2013-11-19 16:18:18
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Open terminal & type
    sudo apt-get install gcalctool
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    Open terminal & type
    sudo apt-get install gcalctool
    Here is the response on terminal.

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    gcalctool is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    gir1.2-ubuntuoneui-3.0 language-pack-kde-en kde-l10n-engb libubuntuoneui-3.0-1 thunderbird-globalmenu language-pack-kde-en-base
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-#

Which means already installed.Which version of gcalctool are you using ? Is it 6.4.1.1 ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Which means it's already installed.
    Open 'Calculator', Select Calculator option -> Preferances
    Screenshot from 2013-11-19 17:28:50
    Another dialogue box will open, In 'Number Format' option : Select the option which you need.
    Screenshot from 2013-11-19 17:29:17
    It will work now.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Which means it's already installed.
    Open 'Calculator', Select Calculator option -> Preferances
    Screenshot from 2013-11-19 17:28:50
    Another dialogue box will open, In 'Number Format' option : Select the option which you need.
    Screenshot from 2013-11-19 17:29:17
    It will work now.
    Oh ! I was not looking at main menu bar. Options are there. Thanks @#-Link-Snipped-#
    Please be ready for such threads in upcoming days. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anytime, Harshad bhai.
    Linux have steep learning curve, but once you understand it. Linux is fun to use.
    Just don't quit on it. Good luck ๐Ÿ‘
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    @#-Link-Snipped-# :- I am using Cutecom and I am not able to open com port without application running via sudo command. Any Solution?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    @#-Link-Snipped-# :- I am using Cutecom and I am not able to open com port without application running via sudo command. Any Solution?
    You won't be able to access ports w/o sudo unless you set permission. (or you might've to set udev rules)

sudo chmod 755
    ( eg: sudo chmod 755 /dev/tty0 )

Tell me the port & I will give you exact command.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Even that doesn't work then add your user to tty & dialout.

sudo usermod -a -G tty YOUR_USERNAME
    sudo usermod -a -G dialout YOUR_USERNAME

Edit : Post Merged.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ^ is why Linux isn't popular with non-techie computer users. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Really??? Normal users like to play with serial port??
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    You won't be able to access ports w/o sudo unless you set permission. (or you might've to set udev rules)

sudo chmod 755
    ( eg: sudo chmod 755 /dev/tty0 )

Tell me the port & I will give you exact command.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Even that doesn't work then add your user to tty & dialout.

sudo usermod -a -G tty YOUR_USERNAME
    sudo usermod -a -G dialout YOUR_USERNAME

Edit : Post Merged.
    Ok. I will try this and update you about the result. BTW I am using serial port as well as USB to Serial Converter both.

Kaustubh Katdare
    ๐Ÿ˜
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I tried with this command:- sudo chmod 755 /dev/ttys1
    response:- chmod: cannot access `/dev/ttys1': No such file or directory
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    You should be looking at /dev/ttyUSB0 since you are using USB to serial convertor.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Anand Tamariya
    You should be looking at /dev/ttyUSB0 since you are using USB to serial convertor.
    I am also using S0 and S1
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    The command for listing directory contents in linux is "ls". All the devices in linux are enlisted under /dev. IO devices are typically named with suffix "tty". And filenames are case sensitive in linux. This info. should help you find the file you are interested in.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# as device is usually attached with 'dialout' usergroup, you need to add your user in dialout.
    sudo usermod -a -G dialout 'your_username'

or,
    sudo adduser dialout
    Reboot.

----------------------------------------

I would like to know the o/p of
    ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would like to know the o/p of
    ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
    crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Nov 23 13:38 /dev/ttyUSB0
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Nov 23 13:38 /dev/ttyUSB0
    I have mentioned two times in my above posts, it seems like you've missed it.So, I will repeat again.

Open terminal & type :
    sudo usermod -a -G dialout

Or,Open terminal & type :
    sudo adduser dialout
    Reboot PC.

One other way is,
    - Connect hardware (usb)
    - Open terminal & type : sudo chmod 666
    {you can use 775 or 777 any permission as per your will}
    - You'll be able to access now.
    Note : One thing I noted that once you remove hardware, the permission is set back to default i.e root permission.Hence I suggest you to add your user by usermod as i mentioned.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    I have mentioned two times in my above posts, it seems like you've missed it.So, I will repeat again.

Open terminal & type :

Or,Open terminal & type :
    sudo adduser dialout
    Reboot PC.

One other way is,
    - Connect hardware (usb)
    - Open terminal & type : sudo chmod 666
    {you can use 775 or 777 any permission as per your will}
    - You'll be able to access now.
    Note : One thing I noted that once you remove hardware, the permission is set back to default i.e root permission.Hence I suggest you to add your user by usermod as i mentioned.
    Perfect !

Now I can open COM port without running application by sudo command.
    I follow this step.
    Reboot PC
    And it's working like charm. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Calculate the VSWR in dB in a waveguide when the load is 3dB attenuator terminator by a short circuit.
In fan and Motor pump we use single phase induction motor....when the switch is ON ...time taken to reach maximum speed is different for motor pump and fan ......In motor...
As weird as it may sound, but team of researchers at the Iowa State University (ISU) have developed algorithm to uniquely identify users based on their typing style and mouse...
Samsung Galaxy Gear has got its first functional custom ROM from a developer on the XDA forum. The custom ROM titled โ€œnullโ€ has been developed by fOmey, a senior member...
hello , am planning to apply for CDAC's PG diploma Geoinformatics and PG Diploma in healthcare informatics ....!! Are they worth doing how are the future prospects ...........?? how many...