Ruby on Rails woes!

Hey guys, So I'm based in New Delhi, India and really wanna learn to program in RoR. I'm fairly good with computers and even know a bit of HTML/CSS but ruby is just so hard to understand without having someone to explain it to me. I've watched tutorials on youtube but they're half baked and I've also tried reading books but they don't seem to interest me at all.

So, I'd like to know if someone would be nice enough to help me. I'd be forever grateful for your help and be really happy to reimburse you for your time and help. 😀

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Ruby on rails is based on MVC framework, you need to learn that first

Once you learnt that, it will be a piece of cake for you

Thanks
  • nishant arora
    nishant arora
    I'm guessing that thats definitely going to help me in someway so I'm gonna work on that right away.

Thanks so much! 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    If I were you, I would title this thread - How to get started with Ruby on Rails?

There are some good free resources on the internet for learning Ruby, including:
    Mr. Neighborly’s Humble Little Ruby Book
    Programming Ruby
    Why’s (Poignant) Guide to Ruby

Just google them up.

And like Goyal said, At the core of Rails is the Model, View, Controller architecture, usually just called MVC.

MVC benefits include:
    Isolation of business logic from the user interface
    Ease of keeping code DRY (“Don’t Repeat Yourself” – suggests that writing the same code over and over again is a bad thing.)
    Making it clear where different types of code belong for easier maintenance
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    nishant arora
    I'm guessing that thats definitely going to help me in someway so I'm gonna work on that right away.

Thanks so much! 😀
    If you really want to get started the dumbass way, check this site out: #-Link-Snipped-# . I think it'd help anyone get a 'feel' of Ruby programming and generate interest. Once that stage is over; there are plenty of online tutorials. The ones from Learnable and Lynda are worth paying for.
  • nishant arora
    nishant arora
    Thanks guys! I'll do that. I started this thread just to know if someone would be willing to help me with some hands on learning. 😀
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Before picking up a framework, learn some programming. say JS programming for instance. This will save you lot of frustration.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm about to enter my final year in school. could I get suggestions on a cheap but innovative final project
what is the difference between BJT and power BJT? what are the applications of each of them?
what is the basic difference between the terms 'electrical' and 'electronics'?
what is keeping India's engineers unemployed?
Username mr03 of Reddit network, created a visual comparison of evolution of Android over the years which I would like to share with you : Long Live Droid 😍