Robocon 2008

Hey CEans!

Not sure which forum to post this under. Anyway, any of you planning to participate in Robocon 2008? It'll be held in India!

For more info, click here:
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    I really need more info, I checked the website and its in Aug, good time for me. If there are serious people wanting to join then please tell us here.

As for taking part, it depends on some very important factors related to my health, and even on other participants. In time I can tell.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    We have 12 teams in the uni to start work on the robots.. but I believe we have to go through internal competitions, then the national one, before one lucky team sets foot on India.

My group is working on the manual robot. Good thing is there isnt much autonomous functions to deal with (its remote control, probably by a PS2 controller). Bad thing is we have such an hectic schedule with classes and all, plus the robot is big.. max dimension given in the rules is 1m x 1m. Thats so unlike my 20cm line follower.

If anyone wants an overview of the competition, here's a useful vid:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • asin
    asin
    Is robocon 2008 internal competitions malaysia finish? is u r team the "lucky" one ? i m sorry to ask these,but i interest very much to this ...so...Say a thanks first ..๐Ÿ˜€
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Hey in my collge days i missd taking participation in this event,well I had some weird robotic ideas,like Land,Air or sea in any condition.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Good to see some responses here! ๐Ÿ˜€

Unfortunately, I left my team because I had other things to do. But of course, I still gave ideas and the like *grin* The competitions are still on going, but the deadlines are so tight. I hope my team does well!

sauravgoswami, did you manage to come out with that Land, Air, Sea robot? Please share your ideas with us? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • asin
    asin
    i am in a team which is preparing for the internal competitions ,but there have many hard nuts to crack.Originally,i think may your contest finish that i could find some way try to conquer our difficulty....whatever good luck to your team...fighting!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    What is your difficulty, asin?

Our initial internal competition did not go well. I heard most of the circuits of the robots failed. Not sure what the problem was. Oh well.
  • asin
    asin
    Worse than yours,our circuits have many many bugs,cause we couldn't dope out the robot's performance before it's started. Our "baby(robot)"is not steady not only on electrical control but also on mechanical precision...Just now,i got a short video on YOUTUBE ,that team's robots get the yellow butter cube in less than 5 seconds .so we have to increase the speed to defeat that kind teams.But the robot on a high speed will be more difficult to control.For example that whether the robot can break timely and stop on the correct position on a fast speed or not?๐Ÿ˜” we gonna encounter more and more difficulty...good luck to you and us...
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Remember asin, its not always about speed! Its more towards strategy actually. You can always block the other team in getting their cube! Of course, you must have backup plans.. if you see your opponent doing one thing, have something to counter it.

Regarding the electronics, its best to keep it as practically simple as possible. If you make the circuit too complex, it is quite difficult to troubleshoot the problem. Using a simple PIC16 microcontroller and a L293 driver motor (or a different one, depending on motor size) should NEVER be underated! They can be implemented in almost any type of robots.

I've yet to see the progress of my (ex)team. Anyway, good luck to fixing your problems! If you want anything specific, you can check out the Project Ideas section. We have some discussions about PICs and stuff.. it might help you out!
  • technospartan
    technospartan
    does anyone know whos the winner of robocon 2008?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    technospartan
    does anyone know whos the winner of robocon 2008?
    The actual competition in India has not commenced yet ๐Ÿ˜€ Contest Day is on 31st August.

#-Link-Snipped-#

At the moment, I'm guessing all teams who are registering are doing internal competitions in their respective universities/countries.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

For those of you who may be interested in the dispersion modeling of airborne pollution, here are some good sources of information: Books: โ— Beychok, Milton R. (2005). Fundamentals of...
For those of you who may be interested in the dispersion modeling of airborne pollution, here are some good sources of information: Books: โ— Beychok, Milton R. (2005). Fundamentals of...
Hello Crazy Engineer-ans Most people call me JC, or Hyo, take your pick, and I'm new here. As part of my internship, I will be required to program an AI....
im n engg student[5th sem] nw we r studyn abt complex integrals in math, n me n my ganng here s tryin to make its geometrical interpretation, the riddle is...
It was a normal afternoon, the airconditioned meeting room of the engineering giant's office was replete with talented engineers; some of them young and enthusiastic, others not young still enthusiastic...