Researchers develop a novel magnetic ice phobic material which outperforms others

Researchers at at the University of Houston (UH) have developed a new Ice phobic material called- magnetic slippery surface (MAGSS) to deal with the menace of ‘Icing’ often responsible for bringing down aircrafts, snapping power lines, and causing a surprising amount of structural damage.

icephobic-material-UH

The problem with icing occurs when droplets of freezing supercooled water strike a surface. These droplets adhere and wet the surface, attracting more and more droplets leading to an accretion. To de-ice a surface, the ice needs either to be melted, broken off, dissolved , or the surface could be altered so that the ice can't stick to it in the first place.

The researchers making use of the last technique mentioned, coated a magnetic material on one side of the surface while on the other side a thin layer of magnetic fluid called ferrofluid (a mixture of fluid and iron oxide nanoparticles) was deposited. When a droplet of water hit the surface of ferrofluid, the magnetic fluid acted as a barrier disallowing the droplet to interact with the solid. As there’s no adhesion of the ice to the solid surface, it basically slided off the surface, quoted the researchers. With just tilting of the surface the ice could be removed.

prof ghasemi-group-icephobic-material
Lead Researcher Assistant Professor Hadi Ghasemi (far left) & his group
The USP of the material lies in several factors- while with the current systems water will freeze at minus 13 degrees Fahrenheit , with a surface coated with MAGSS , water would not freeze until it has reached minus 29 degrees Fahrenheit. Moreover ferrofluids can regenerate themselves and are thereby inexpensive. The material could prove immensely useful in the aircraft and power industry with widespread consumer applications as well.

The work was published in the journal#-Link-Snipped-#.

Source: UH Cullen College Engineer Creates Better Than State-of-the-Art Materials to Repel Ice | UH Cullen College of Engineering

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Imagine that you had each and every resource on the planet (money, men, material, machine etc.) at your disposal. In that case, what would you do for... 1. Saving the...
Hello sir, I am yogesh kadam. I am too much confused about my career.. Please guide me. 1. I have done my B.E(2015 passout) in E& TC with 59%. 2....
Event Name: Amrita TBI PitchFest 2017 Organized by: Amrita TBI In Bengaluru, Karnataka Event Dates - January 28, 2017, to January 29, 2017 (Time 08:00 am to 05:00 pm) Dear...
Snapchat Inc. has introduced new 'Spectacle' Glasses which can record video 10 seconds snaps at a time always 'on' and ready to capture the moment, but not always recording. One...
Researchers at MIT have found out a way to produce biodegradable plastics. They have identified the structure of a bacterial enzyme which is essential for synthesis of biodegradable polymers. Their...