Renewable Marine Energy 3rd year degree project

I'm currently doing BEng Energy and Environmental Engineering, next year is my final year and I want to do something around renewable marine energy for my 3rd year degree project so I can apply to do the MSc Marine Renewable Energy in Bangor University.  I go to UWTSD Swansea, UK, so close to the coast and live in Pembrokeshire so I'm surrounded by water!  I don't have the benefit of working in a group so it can't be too complex but I do have the use of top quality computer modelling systems and a new workshop.  I'm struggling to think of something impressive but also doable in the 9  months.  Can anyone help??

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Scotland’s floating wind farm is showing how powerful offshore wind can be

Scotland’s floating wind farm is showing how powerful offshore wind can be | Ars Technica

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

https://scholar.google.co.in/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=renewable+marine+energy+projects&btnG=

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Using thermoclines to generate energy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_thermal_energy_conversion

May be a computer simulated project on the potential for the above at different geographical locations based on available oceanographic data can be tried. This would not require any hardware development and can be a single person activity.

• Pranav Dave
    Pranav Dave

Hi, 

I want to know if we can use bull to generate electricity as old days we use to remove water from well. Can this be feasible as these will help lots of bull to survive and we can save diesel use in agriculture as well as free electric 

I want to run 20kv generator using 4bull

Regards 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

When a kid, I've done it myself (irrigation water from the well using bull power)at my grandfather's farm. Lots of fun riding down the slope on the cross bar between the bulls. Except when you fall ignominiously at the bottom of the slope and get up covered in wet mud.

Technically, I am afraid that the second law of thermodynamics gets in the way. The efficiency of a bull as a heat engine is poor compared to a diesel engine. Biologically because of methane gas emission, the carbon foot print of the bull will also be much higher than a diesel engine. Assuming that you meant 20 KW and not 20 kv, I feel that four bulls cannot generate more than 3 KW in a sustained mode.

You need a lot of space for the fuel (fodder) and sorry to say, you'll end up with a lot of, well, Bullshit. Of course, this can be made into another fuel, dung cake, for village home use. That has its own pollution issue of high carbon monoxide toxicity.

Let the bulls be.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Next year iam passing out from college, iam in confusion where to start my career as mentioned above. There are also some financial constraints that i directly can't afford to...
I had scored 85% in 10 & 65% in 12 and GPA is currently 7.0 till my 6xth sem with many backlogs in mechanical also I had a drop in...
Hi All,Is it possible to generate electricity using bull as in old age farmer use bull to pull water from well. The technology was very week, using latest tool we...
Reliance Jio is currently at 21% market share in Indian markets and the experts are predicting that it will capture 30% market share by end of 2019. If Jio does...
I  am a computer science student. Regarding the project  any good idea that can help the poor with my project and my ideas are1. On any  occasion, the food will...