Qustion about power generation & distribution

hi 2 all im new to this forum nd i am having some many dbts please clarify them clearly

1)
what type of power is generating in the generating station (ac or dc)

2)why should we step up and step down so many times frm generating station to the distribution system

pls answer clearly

bye

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    bill190
    Power Generation

Electric Power Transmission

hey read these links of you find time.

if not quick answer is the power is generated in AC

Regarding the stepping up and stepping down:

The power is generated with normal voltage it is stepped down to high voltage and is transmitted to substations and from there still it is stepped down for distribution.
    The stepping up is to reduce the transmission loses as these loses are proportional to ISquare (square of current) so stepping up reduces the currrent .
    there are many more advantages as well the detail description will be in the link.
    😎
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    DC generation is too costly and cumbersome,and secondly transmitting high AC voltage reduces the losses but it cant be used to operate home applainces or machinery,thats why they are reduced in steps depending on the distribution area!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We live in the woods in northern Maine about a ½ mile off the road with common winter temperatures many degrees below 0F. We heat only with wood. This works...
hey guys i want to know what is the signiificance of 1)The Fouries series 2) Guard bands in frequency spectrum. thanks.😕
Hello CEans 😀 I'd like to ask, at what speeds do you all cruise at on the highway? How do we determine which speed is the most fuel efficient for...
Hi Everyone, I need to interface a 3.3v FPGA board with some 5v components - in both directions (i.e FPGA -> TTL and vice versa) Currently i am looking at...
hi friends, i have got another issue.I have some real important messages in my nokia 1600 cellphone and i want to take a backup of these messages.I have searched a...