Queries Related To Motherboard & BIOS.

- What is cache controller in motherboard? What it does ? How it does ? Why It is needed ?

- In Which Language BIOS is coded ? How the first time BIOS is flashed in ROM of Motherboard ? What is the procedure ?

- Does Kernel (Linux & Windows both) takes over the control of I/O from BIOS ? If yes,then why do we need BIOS then ? Kernel can be ported in the Embedded systems, then why don't we just use Kernel in place of BIOS.

- I know what is Kernel & how it works,I wanna know what is BIOS & how does it work,so I can muself differentiate both.

Replies

• Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    generally you know that since SRAM is expensive we use DRAM for system memory and SRAM for cache memory....in between cpu and DRAM there is a small cache of the faster SRAM...
    the cache controller,which is circuitry on the motherboard decides the content of this cache..
    the most recently accessed information helps the controller to guess at what RAM locations may be accessed next and these are stored in the cache..when the computer needs its next instruction it looks into this cache..if the information is there then it would retrieve it with much faster speed..and if the information is not there then it retrives it slowly from the system memory...and also it stores this information for future use...
    simply we can say that the cache controller improves the speed...

usually BIOS is coded in the assembly language of the CPU used in that computer...
    i think this link may help you..
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A lot of geeks have been waiting for this movie to release in this year. The official trailer of the movie is out and it has Ashton Kutcher playing Steve...
Imagine you were given a option of selecting any one of the following bikes to drive through a road of lots of speed brakers,turns and intense traffic. 1) geared vehicle...
Projects on Kickstarter tend to have outlandish names like Stompy, Velomobile and RoboRoach, but when a PhD scholar Witold Mielniczek decided to name with a single alphabet ‘B’, one could...
Please suggest some project ideas for M.Tech final year in mobile computing area..
Hi Folks, Whenever i start creating a dynamic web application, I ended up with the following error type Status report message /StrutsHelloWorld description The requested resource (/StrutsHelloWorld) is not available....