Practical Implementations Of Flexible Displays

It looks like the electronics industry these days is obsessed with a new kind of biodegradable and flexible display. While we can understand the biodegradable displays are the need of the time, but I often wonder where would we typically find the flexible displays useful?

Also, we all are used to reading on flat surfaces and flexible displays are going to 'change' or 'challenge' that. Can someone think of practical implementations of the flexible display where they would solve some real problem?

Replies

• Donagh
    Donagh
    Flexible displays, one application I can think of is 3D cinema. I know that it is already invented but that’s just optical illusion. Imagine if in the 3D cinema things actually did pop out at you from the screen!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    3D cinemas, to the best of my knowledge use special projections to create the effect. Having a 'big' 3D screen is certainly going to be a lot damn pricy!
  • Donagh
    Donagh
    Well considering that there is 4 massive HD widescreen monitors in the lobby of the building that I work in that just display casual messages all day I’d say that the active screen could definitely make it to cinema.
    With advances in digital storage too there will be less of a need for movie storage on film, don’t get me wrong here I know in this day and age this idea is hardly realisable, but imagine a cinema screen that is essentially liquid with infinite colour depth that can thicken and thin where ever it is needed to create affect. Think about it, with home cinema and 3D television the theatre is going to have to think of something to attract attention cause I know for sure that I’m not paying to watch a movie in a smelly as cinema when I could be watching it at home in better quality.
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    We can expect the advertising industry to put these displays to some good use. Its just around the corner. Pun intended.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What I think is that human eyes have been conditioned to read on the flat surfaces. But yes - advertising industry can use it; but that'd mean it relies on larger displays. A flexible display phone would be a great showoff; but the use would be zero.

What I sense though; it will just add to the durability of the screens. We will no longer have 'broken' glasses/screens. What do you guys think?
  • hsirah5
    hsirah5
    It can be used as a very compact portable displays.. Imagine if you can roll it up like a chart and move it to places and you can put up any picture, video for any presentations without the need for projector. For this we may need to work on a standard interface/protocol that could enable us to connect it directly with a PC, laptop or any disc player. Also, if we could decrease the production cost and bring down the price, then who knows, this could even replace our laptops and office room projectors.. 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nokia and Audiodraft have teamed up to launch the Nokia Ringtone challenge in India and in several other parts of the country. The challenge is simple; submit and original ringtone...
The question is simple and I want simple answers. Will you buy the New iPad once it's available in your country? Yes or No? Why? My answer: No. Because I...
I am planning to buy a mobile which can support AT&T Connect Participant Application . On official website they have applicaiton for iPhone and BlackBerry . But are these applications...
Dear New Member! Welcome to CrazyEngineers (CE)! We thank you for choosing to be a part of CrazyEngineers ever growing community of engineers like you. The intention of this post...
Biomed Central, the open access publisher carried an item on yabi. yabi is an open source software for transparent access to high performance computing. Mainly intended for life science applications,...