Powering a load from two sources

Hello!
I have a problem that I hope you will help me resolve.

I have two sources of power and I want to power a light bulb using them.
This sounds silly now but the thing is that one system is powered (power source) when other is not, or they both can be powered at the same time and my wish is to power this bulb when at least one of them has power. I am getting negative wire (-) and positive wire (+) from one supply and I get in the same way two wires from other supply (+ , -). Voltage difference is 12V when supply is active. Positive wire from one suppy is connected with positive from the other, the same is with negative wire. OK, now the problem is that voltage potential (on/off) from those supplies are controled by a MOSFET that cuts the negative wire at one supply and positive at the other. So I do not have a common wire that will be at one point at the whole time. If those two supplies would be active all the time MOSFETs would give connection to negative wire on the one side and positive on the other and it would be easy with a few diodes to direct current over the bulb. Is there a way to resolve this. Oh I hope that I have made myself clear 😀

Power supply 1:
------------------ (-) MOSFET controled
------------------- (+)

Power supply 2:
------------------ (+) MOSFET controled
------------------- (-)

Thanks

Replies

• Munguti
    Munguti
    Either i have not understood your question, or the solution is simple in that you can have the two supplies powering your system in parallel, this might increase the total current you can achieve compared to using one supply kind of like solar cell, i.e. no need for a mosfet to switch power supplies.
    I don't know if this has helped.
  • Backbon3
    Backbon3
    Thanks for your attention and reply.
    I should have noticed that I do not have any control of these power sources that I am using. These system is on a car, and I have pulled these wires out. One pair of wires powers one light bulb, the other pair powers the other light bulb (this is standard). Now I want to add third light bulb that will be on if at least one of those two is on. The problem is that switch (integrated in car control unit) on the first light bulb gives (+) and (-) is always connected. And it is reversed on the other so (-) is over a switch and (+) is constant.

P.S. If (-) would be constant on both pair of wires then I would put two diodes from (+) wires to my light bulb (+) and connect minuses together.

Thanks
    Bye
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Since i cant draw an actual circuit, let me try it this way -

1) You would need two more MOSFETS to realise this. It is very simple to get an AND logic, but what you need is an OR logic.

2) Connect the + and - of each source, the Gate and source of two n-channel MOSFETs respectively (though a resistor divider if needed) such that the corresponding MOSFET achieves saturation mode when the corresponding switch is closed. The final case is that both the MOSFETs achieve saturation when both switches are closed.

3) Short the Drains of both the MOSFETs and connect your third bulb in series between Battery (direct) and the shorted drains.

4) This way when either or both swithes are closed, the third bulb will glow.

- Karthik
    😁
  • Backbon3
    Backbon3
    Wow, that is it. So you understood my problem😀 I think I understand what you are saying, I'll try that. Thank you very much for a solution!
    Bye

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

*sigh*. I somehow dont like process orientation. Thought personally I jot down things to do list , I follow it , i complete and feel good about it, at work...
*ahem* I wanted to share this case study what i did yesterday as a aprt of my course work_project management ( yup, I need to take up one mandaory management...
Fir those who purse M.E and who in need with VLSI project can get topics from here On VLSI design of rank order filtering using DCRAM architecture (IEEE 2007) A...
*sigh* We have seen apple not allowing few apps becasue they dont comply to terms and agreements.But what about showing the locations of nearest drug hotspots in I POD apps?...
can anyone suggest me a minor project in dbms😕 it should be fresh and new one please i am desperate