Pneumatic cylinder Construction: Design

Hello, 

I don't have much knowledge in mechanical design or pneumatic systems.

For my project, I want to create a Pneumatic cylinder, The purpose is, Inside it will will contain a Nylon piston, and one end will be filled with clay. Cylinder will be closed from either side using end caps, which also has Push-in connectors(1/4" BSP). Compressed Air from a cylinder(Max. pressure of Cylinder 10 Bar) will be given to Piston side through a Non return valve and a Regulator. Which will push the Clay out through other end. It is for my Clay printer. Hope anyone here have some background with these kind of system

What should be the Wall thickness of Cylinder? It should safely handle Maximum pressure that might arise.

I have already provided a Safety valve calibrated at 6 Bar in my prototype that I made from a GI water Pipe, which has thickness of 3.85 mm. Is there any way the pressure inside the tank could reach a pressure higher than the maximum pressure Compressor can deliver (Compressor is rated for 10 Bar, with cutoff at 8 Bar)

I'm thinking about making the cylinder using a 100 x 5.75 mm Aluminium Pipe and End caps from Aluminum Rods with wall thickness of 10 mm. Would this be enough?

Should I give more thickness for End caps than cylinder?

How to find the maximum pressure rating of the cylinder if material, Wall thickness and diameter are known?

I asked this in another forum and one gay gave me two pictures

can anyone explain this to, what each parameter units are etc

nMKO-xZsTd.jpg

FR42-bBcR0.jpg

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Syringe pump use cheyyamallo?

high pressure syringe pump - Google Search

• Athul S Nair
    Athul S Nair

From Kerala????

Actually I want the capacity to be 3L or more. I already bought 100*6mm Aluminium pipe and 5" Aluminium Rod to make end caps??

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Wet clay is thixotropic. The pressure needed to extrude will depend on the water content and the exit pipe diameter.

Are you trying to do some 3D printing?

• Athul S Nair
    Athul S Nair

I'm trying to 3d printing.

I already tested it in my prototype. It works. But I'm not sure that the cylinder is safe. I'm trying to make a new, that's why I asked about the pressure rating capacity, wall thickness etc

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Folks! Back in this platform all revamped. I'm trying to find the search bar, and seem lost. Any pointers would be great. And how do we communicate internally, and...
I am new to android development. Can you someone suggest me what are the pre requisites for this ,I am a third yr btech student . Is SDK self sufficient...
I have found very interesting topics but are related to all the engineering braches in general.I need some topics that are related to civil branch.
I have a gap of 3 years between class 10 and diploma . So If i get good CGPA in diploma and then later in Btech am i eligible for...
Students aspriring MBBS but are older than 25 can now apply for entrance exam - NEET(National Eligibility -cum -Entrance Test) as supreme court now had notified the upper age limit...